Chinese Drywall Blamed for A.C. Failures

hausdok

By Ryan Lengerich • rlengerich@news-press.com • January 11, 2009

Air conditioning manufacturers nationwide are taking an economic hit as they repeatedly replace copper coils destroyed by the recently exposed "Chinese drywall" phenomenon, local air condition company owners said.

"I have never seen this many air conditioners fail at this age," said Fred Kobie, owner of Kobie Kooling in Fort Myers and a 25-year industry veteran. "It's almost an epidemic down here."

For about two years, scientists, engineers and vendors nationwide struggled to learn why evaporating coils in new machines in new developments have gone sour often in under a year, Kobie said.

The machines should have lifespans beyond 10 years.

Kobie said the answer became clear when The News-Press reported Dec. 20 drywall imported during the construction boom years of 2004-05 is releasing sulfur compounds that corrode coils and copper tubing.

Read more at the Ft. Myers News-Press.com.

"When peeled back, the sulfur on the Chinese drywall smells like rotten eggs. It's effects on human health are not yet verified. Knauf said low levels of gases are not a health risk."

Didn't anyone notice this odor during installation? I would think when cutting outlet boxes or at corners, the odor would be released.

Or.... maybe the Chinese knew what they were doing; it's part of the great plan to bring down our economy!

Originally posted by Darren

"When peeled back, the sulfur on the Chinese drywall smells like rotten eggs. It's effects on human health are not yet verified. Knauf said low levels of gases are not a health risk."

Or.... maybe the Chinese knew what they were doing; it's part of the great plan to bring down our economy!

If I remember my HS chemistry, (it was a long time ago) sulfur dioxide and water make sulfuric acid. A coil with condensation on it combined with sulfur dioxide outgassing from the drywall could be the problem.

I'm not sure it's a deliberate plan by Chinese manufacturers to ruin our economy, but it's clear in light of ALL the defective/unsafe/downright deadly Chinese products that they don't care about anything but profits.

And we thought that was a mindset limited to capitalist countries...

• 4 weeks later...

A little note in my Realtor Association news letter. This appears to be gaining some momentum.

Chinese Drywall â€â€œ Problems in Florida and Virginia

Is Chinese drywall the new mold? The building industry is being hit by a bevy of lawsuits over drywall, manufactured in China that appears to be emitting nasty smelling, corrosive gases into peopleâ€â„¢s homes. Already, Florida lawyers have filed at least three separate lawsuits against the manufacturers and installers of the problematic drywall, including one case seeking class action status. Florida state health officials have said that the Chinese-made drywall poses no immediate health threats, but the material is having an unusual effect on air-conditioning units. It appears that gases from the drywall are corroding coils and causing frequent A/C failures. Even Floridaâ€â„¢s Lt. Governor, Jeff Kottkamp, whose house was built by a Florida lawmaker, is reportedly issues with his drywall. Click Here to read the full story in a recent Wall Street Journal article. There have also been reports of Chinese drywall problems in Hampton Roads but so far the problem seems limited. Your Governmental Affairs team is researching the issue and will keep you posted as new information becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...

So who is going to develop a nondestructive Chinese drywall tester?

http://www.inspectorsinc.com/DYItestKIT ... DAodcCqhdQ

Sure you can buy those kits cheaply, but without the proper training, the kit is useless.

Fortunately, I can provide you with that training for only $1,999.99. My one-day class will cover all of the essential concepts that you'll need to make a fortune in the emerging drywall testing market. If you attend the class and pass the test at the end of the day, you will have earned the title of "Trained Wallboard Inspection Technician."

I can do this because I'm a "Drywall Inspection Master Wallboard Industry Trainer."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

DIMWIT and TWIT - Cute

Send me $289 and take a simple online unproctored test and you too can join N.A.C.D.I. - National Association of Certified Drywall Inspectors.

Chris

NO, NO. Don't got to Chris's organization. His organization sucks because. . . well, because I say so. Go to my organization instead, I'm better.

- Jim Katen, Oregon