Local warming.

In today's attic, I leaned against a 2x4 upright and burned my arm.

I played a softball game at 6:15 pm today-- wow.

Everyone that called to set up an inspection this week was told that the only time available was for the morning; all of my jobs are set up for 7 am and I am doing those attics first. I'm not used to sweating my butt off by 7: 15 am.

In today's attic, I leaned against a 2x4 upright and burned my arm.

I played a softball game at 6:15 pm today-- wow.

Everyone that called to set up an inspection this week was told that the only time available was for the morning; all of my jobs are set up for 7 am and I am doing those attics first. I'm not used to sweating my butt off by 7: 15 am.

I figure I'm saving money. Some people pay money to go to the gym and sit in a 180-degree sauna. I can do it while being paid. Of course, I don't do much sitting up there.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

With the temperatures slated to hit the mid to upper 90's for the entire week , I have made the executive decision to only think in Celcius. 35° sounds so much cooler than 95°!

I thought you should know. [:-propell

I love the positive spin...

Of course, I'm sure you do the same in winter. Only the F temp is much warmer than the C temp. So you don't feel as bad as our Canadian brothers.

RSpermo, 172... Yow-za!!!

I had a nice, easy little condo early in the morning that was literally no sweat at all. However, I also had an SFR that I started at 5:00 pm. My car told me it was 98...ummm...37 when I arrived. No A/C in the house, of course. By the time I was finished I had very noticeable white salt rings all around my shirt. The cool crawl space was a relief, as was the car A/C on the way home.

For those down south and back east who think we whine up here in the NW when it gets hot, you have to understand that the vast majority (I'd guess 95%) of us live without air conditioning. The ceiling fan above my bed got a good workout last night.

Yep,

Weird year. I'm driving home after the afternoon job and I glance at the thermometer on the dash - 99°F. I can't remember it getting above about 93° at any time during the past 13 years.

Two days ago there were a mountain of fans in a store down the street. I stopped in on the way home - they guy told me they sold out in less than an hour yesterday afternoon.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Whew!

Didn't sleep well at all last night. The fans just weren't getting it done. Got up at 5:30 this morning and it was cool out but by 8:00 am my office, which is on the ground floor on the west side and well shaded, had already gotten uncomfortably warm - even with the window open - and now it's 11:39 and it's like an oven in here.

Maybe we're heating up like a TPR valve getting ready to blow. Jeez, I hope if that happens I have enough presence of mind to hold my breath so that as I go flying by Saturn I can get a closeup look at it before I die for lack of oxygen and go to meet my maker....or the other guy. [:-yuck]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Maybe we're heating up like a TPR valve getting ready to blow. Jeez, I hope if that happens I have enough presence of mind to hold my breath so that as I go flying by Saturn I can get a closeup look at it before I die for lack of oxygen and go to meet my maker....or the other guy.

Hmmm. If you somehow got ejected at the speed of light, and without the sudden acceleration squishing your every molecule, it would still take approximately 1.4 hours to get there. That's a long time to hold your breath and I'm very fuzzy on what the view, if any, would be like at that speed. But...Bon Voyage!

P.S. Don't forget your camera.

Maybe we're heating up like a TPR valve getting ready to blow. Jeez, I hope if that happens I have enough presence of mind to hold my breath so that as I go flying by Saturn I can get a closeup look at it before I die for lack of oxygen and go to meet my maker....or the other guy.

Hmmm. If you somehow got ejected at the speed of light, and without the sudden acceleration squishing your every molecule, it would still take approximately 1.4 hours to get there. That's a long time to hold your breath and I'm very fuzzy on what the view, if any, would be like at that speed. But...Bon Voyage!

P.S. Don't forget your camera.

Jeez,

There you go squashing my fantasy, Richard. Just couldn't let me die in ignorant bliss, could ya?

That's just plain wrong, Dude!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You know, it's funny. I appreciate a good bitching session about the temperature as much as the next guy. I tell my teenage boys that we -- meaning people of my age (49) and over -- lived through worse times than they have. Yet somehow we survived. More importantly, those generations who preceded us long before the advent of air conditioning survived also. They were tougher: they had to be.

My own modest claim to ridiculous heat fame? In 1980, I was in college. That summer, I had a one-man paint contracting business. (I tried hiring friends; they did not really want to work. However, they DID want to get paid.) Anyway, we had 21 days straight where the thermometer hit 100 or more. The humidity was high: we are in the South, after all. I could not set my spray gun down to move the ladder without covering it up with a wet rag. If I didn't, it would literally get too hot to handle.

Today? My 16 year old son complains (again) that he has to sit his ass on a riding mower to mow the yard. It was cloudy and 83 degrees. He has his iPod with the earphones in. He also has a mower with an automatic transmission and a 42 inch cut. I pushed a mower at his age -- well before it, to be truthful -- and I thought it was good to earn money.

I hate to say it, but if this is typical of the country as a whole, China will own us way sooner than I ever anticipated.