I'm done with these chat forum.

I'm not one to hang out much with other inspectors because it's usually a group setting and unless the room is quiet with only one voice in it, I likely won't comprehend anything that is spoken. I've been deaf as a post for 49 years. I hear through a microphone now, part of the cochlear implant system that was surgically installed within my left ear 8 years ago. It restored very nearly all of my hearing but only a small amount of comprehension returned. Doc told me at the time that 40 years was just too much.

What I like about this forum is that it's a relief from the unlevel playing field that I've had to put up with all my life because, on the forum, in a way, everyone is deaf. I can participate like everyone else and I've never been able to do that before.

I'm always looking for technical challenge also and I find lots of it here. This forum will make me a better inspector.

Marc

on the forum, in a way, everyone is deaf.

They sure are, 'cuz it seems like nobody hears (listens) to what I say around here - especially the smart guys. [:-banghea

Seriously, welcome to TIJ, Marc. There's a very good mix of inspectors here; though it's a little less exciting than on the other forums where you can pretty much be as rude as you want to other participants and are allowed to harp about religion and politics and other such non-inspection-related stuff. For those of us who prefer civility over drama TIJ works. [:-smile_g

Psst, ignore the editor though. The guy's a tool. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Psst, ignore the editor though. The guy's a tool. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hand powered, cord, or cordless? If cordless, are you rechargeable, and how long do you hold a charge?

Yeah, lots of deaf and blind folks in the HI business. They don't hear anything you tell them, and they don't see most things they should.

Everyone's got the talking part though.......

I'm not one to hang out much with other inspectors because it's usually a group setting and unless the room is quiet with only one voice in it, I likely won't comprehend anything that is spoken. I've been deaf as a post for 49 years. I hear through a microphone now, part of the cochlear implant system that was surgically installed within my left ear 8 years ago. It restored very nearly all of my hearing but only a small amount of comprehension returned. Doc told me at the time that 40 years was just too much.

What I like about this forum is that it's a relief from the unlevel playing field that I've had to put up with all my life because, on the forum, in a way, everyone is deaf. I can participate like everyone else and I've never been able to do that before.

I'm always looking for technical challenge also and I find lots of it here. This forum will make me a better inspector.

Marc

Welcome, Marc. I'm glad technology has improved your life!

I'm curious - If I may politely ask - when you say your comprehension hasn't returned, what does that mean?

I hear spoken English the way you hear a foreign language that you do not know. You hear it but don't understand it. That's as close an approximation as I can give you. Doc said it had something to do with deterioration of the neutral pathways between the ear organ and the brain over the 40 years during which my pathways were dormant. It's an atrophy of some type and it's permanent damage. Same goes for music. I have a better chance of comprehension with sounds that are not man made such as common sounds around the house and animal/bird sounds. They are less complex than man made and are easier.

After the first 4 years of using the implant, I gained considerable comprehension in quiet environments, enough to do the public relations side of a home inspection business. Holding a conversation over a telephone remains out of the question. Turning up the volume control on my sound processor allows me to hear sounds far beyond what hearing people can. Turning it off give me peace and quiet on demand.

On the lighter side, I have to be careful when I'm working in the engine compartment of my truck. The head piece of my implant is held in place by a powerful magnet within it that prefers the underside of the hood!

Doc said it had something to do with deterioration of the neutral pathways between the ear organ and the brain over the 40 years during which my pathways were dormant. It's an atrophy of some type and it's permanent damage.

I'm not a doctor (though Kurt once told some babe realtor he had his medical degree; but I digress). Anywho...

I thought the brain retained its capacity to form new neural networks throughout most of our life; such allows us to change old, ingrained habits, say quiting smoking, even after 40 years. I truly hope your doctor is wrong about it being permanent, and I hope new neural networks form for you/your comprehension ability.

(And I thought my tinitis sucked...)

I hear spoken English the way you hear a foreign language that you do not know. You hear it but don't understand it. That's as close an approximation as I can give you. Doc said it had something to do with deterioration of the neutral pathways between the ear organ and the brain over the 40 years during which my pathways were dormant. It's an atrophy of some type and it's permanent damage. Same goes for music. I have a better chance of comprehension with sounds that are not man made such as common sounds around the house and animal/bird sounds. They are less complex than man made and are easier.

After the first 4 years of using the implant, I gained considerable comprehension in quiet environments, enough to do the public relations side of a home inspection business. Holding a conversation over a telephone remains out of the question. Turning up the volume control on my sound processor allows me to hear sounds far beyond what hearing people can. Turning it off give me peace and quiet on demand.

On the lighter side, I have to be careful when I'm working in the engine compartment of my truck. The head piece of my implant is held in place by a powerful magnet within it that prefers the underside of the hood!

Very importantly, you seem capable of expressing yourself in writing very satisfactorily.

Does your head really stick to the hood of your car?!? [:-bigeyes

No. The head piece comes off the side of my head and sticks to the hood. I can tell it has happened when my hearing suddenly vanishes. I need to keep my head close to it to avoid breaking the cable until my left hand can find it and get it off. It also sticks to those old steel tube umbrellas if I let it get too close. Still gets me laughing sometimes.

No. The head piece comes off the side of my head and sticks to the hood. I can tell it has happened when my hearing suddenly vanishes. I need to keep my head close to it to avoid breaking the cable until my left hand can find it and get it off. It also sticks to those old steel tube umbrellas if I let it get too close. Still gets me laughing sometimes.

Well, it's a good story. Kinda inspirational, overcoming hearing loss to build a HI biz.

I'm with Jerry,

I'd give anything to stop this constant tinitis noise; I've had it for about 34 years and it's like having a smoke alarm going off far in the background 24/7/365. I'm convinced that it's the cause of my ADD and will probably cause me to develop alzheimers (If I don't go postal first). Don't suppose you know of something - caulk, great stuff, roofing mastic.....? [:-headach

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike