ASHI or NAHI

Avoid iachi at all cost. Pretty embarrasing to call yourself certified after an online, open book exam. Join either NAHI or ASHI, they both have a prety strong presence in IL and a better reputation, IMO.

Damn, I should have researched this a little better before posting. Mr. Speakman failed the NHIE 6 times before going over to iachi. Let that be your guide.

From his own statement on the iachi forum. I actually did a google of his name and this thread appeared;

"I have come to the conclusion that the NHIE is a deterence from licensing in states that has adopted this exam to protect their interests and profit. I have taken this exam 6 times and have not passed it yet! At 195.00 a shot, do the math! How can a person pass an exam when you do not know the questions that were missed? You can't even challenge any questions because you simply do not know which question you got wrong in any of the categories of the test. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going any further with this home inspection business because of a stupid piece of paper that tells me that I am qualified to be a home inspector! For some of you that have been grandfathered into this profession without taking this test, my hats are off to you. It does no good to write to your congressional about this because they are protecting themselves. This issue was brought up many times in different threads under this category. For those of you who have not taken this test who are so called "newbies" I wish you all the luck. This test is made to be tricky. Each time you take it there are different questions added in to prepare you to "FAIL". For those of you that were grandfathered into this profession without taking the NHIE, no comments please!"

I recommend checking into the local chapters before deciding. It's the locals where the most value comes in my opinion. The local meetings and activity can vary from place to place. The upper national level is mixed up with more of the political/org stuff that I dont care to much for. It applies to both.

I was member of NAHI at first. The local in our area fell apart. On top of that I got tired of reading articles in the NAHI national mag about giving gifts to realtors. Yup, it shocked me to see that a seasoned Certified Inspector/editor felt it appropriate to write stuff like that in the national mag. It was the final nail in the coffin for NAHI and me.

I'm now with ASHI and the local is active. I love the meetings and mingling with my fellow members.

I recommend checking into the local chapters before deciding. It's the locals where the most value comes in my opinion. The local meetings and activity can vary from place to place. The upper national level is mixed up with more of the political/org stuff that I dont care to much for. It applies to both.

I was member of NAHI at first. The local in our area fell apart. On top of that I got tired of reading articles in the NAHI national mag about giving gifts to realtors. Yup, it shocked me to see that a seasoned Certified Inspector/editor felt it appropriate to write stuff like that in the national mag. It was the final nail in the coffin for NAHI and me.

I'm now with ASHI and the local is active. I love the meetings and mingling with my fellow members.

Agree 100% here. Go with the strongest LOCAL organization. The one that does in fact have quality training every month and members who care. The big guys at the top can be the best intentioned folks around, but if the local chapter sucks, the whole thing does for you. You should be able to attend at least 1 meeting to meet who all is there and see what goes down.

Good Luck

From his own statement on the iachi forum. I actually did a google of his name and this thread appeared;

"I have come to the conclusion that the NHIE is a deterence from licensing in states that has adopted this exam to protect their interests and profit. I have taken this exam 6 times and have not passed it yet! At 195.00 a shot, do the math! How can a person pass an exam when you do not know the questions that were missed? You can't even challenge any questions because you simply do not know which question you got wrong in any of the categories of the test. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going any further with this home inspection business because of a stupid piece of paper that tells me that I am qualified to be a home inspector! For some of you that have been grandfathered into this profession without taking this test, my hats are off to you. It does no good to write to your congressional about this because they are protecting themselves. This issue was brought up many times in different threads under this category. For those of you who have not taken this test who are so called "newbies" I wish you all the luck. This test is made to be tricky. Each time you take it there are different questions added in to prepare you to "FAIL". For those of you that were grandfathered into this profession without taking the NHIE, no comments please!"

That's right. It's just a big conspiracy.

If you go through the process as ASHI has intended then passing the test is fairly easy by the time you are truly ready to take the test.

But of course that's alot like work. Instant gratification AND certification is what it's all about.

GA has no licensing or certification requirements to speak of so back in '97 when I started it was obvious that ASHI was the one to go with for a certification that actually meant something.

There is licensing in my state. There is a state wide assoication for HI's and roughy 1/3 of inspectors belong. There are no local chapters for NAHI. InterNachi formed a startup chapter in the last year. ASHI has a single chapter in the state of approximatley 50 members out of 1300 inspectors state wide.

A couple months ago, the local presidents of the variouis HI associations in the state agreed to meet to develop a common agenda. Yesterday, the presidents informal meeting submitted a request to the licensing board to update and strengthen the state SOPs.

Licensing is the determining factor here. Only been asked once in 5 years if I belonged to any specific association. Several clients have mentioned they liked that I was an officer in a home inspector association. They believed it showed a higher level of commitment on my part to stay informed.

Join the association with the best local meetings and offers the most continuing education.

I personally didn't like the Chicago ASHI chapters. At one time they disagreed so much they started a second chapter. They were ran like a union, so it didn't matter how many years I was doing home inspections, if I joined one of the chapters, I was treated like I just got out of high school (plenty of examples to give). While there might be a lot of good ASHI chapters out there, there was too much macho, don't question what I'm saying attitude when I went.

Perhaps you should first investigate you state home inspector association.

http://www.illinoishia.org/index.html

I get a lot more out of my state association than I do the national associations.

For all practical purposes, they don't exist. I am not aware of them being active in anything that benefits the profession, although I think Dunn is still out there trying.

Gunnar,

As I recall the Illinois Association of Home Inspectors was formed to provide home inspectors with a voice in Springfield.

While this is a very noble cause, no one told them that all our state's elected officials will only listen to Mike Madigan (well, sometimes to his daughter Lisa, the Attorney General).

Everyone's needs are a little different so you have to decide what you are looking for when you pick a group. The decision criteria should focus on the Chapter as John has said.

What you'll receive from the national association is nice, but the relationships that you form and the education you'll receive for the most part will come from the local chapters.

The two local (well sort of) ASHI Chapters are NICASHI (Northern Illinois Chapter and The Great Lakes Chapter. NICASHI meets monthly and Great Lakes meets three times a year.

When I was starting out I joined NICASHI and after a couple of years switched to Great Lakes. Of the Great Lakes three yearly meetings only one is held in the Chicago area (the other two are held in Michigan and Indiana). All are over a weekend. I thought the quality of the education was better and there was less of an attitude of "I wont' help you because you could be a competitor."

I will say that I never looked at NACHI because of the reputation they had on the Inspector boards (especially Nick the Great). I was at a trade show earlier this year and met the local NACHI chapter president. He described their education program and I have to admit it sounded very impressive. He also seemed like a pretty good guy (i.e. not one who would have anything to do with the crap that Nick is known for pulling.)

I'm in West Dundee if you'd like to talk give me a call.

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC