New roof raised in areas

Trent Tarter

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Maybe its my imagination but mid-span of those two lines is a third one running at right angles to, and between, the first two.  John K's suggestion seems to fit.

I thought that newer OSB wasn't supposed to do that.

That's right, the edges are painted. Green means one thing, orange another. A look at sheathing seams in the attic might show something.

• 1 month later...

The two prominent ridge /bulges are 9 rows apart. If you look to the right, another 9 rows down you can see a third ridge. Pretty uniform, though nothing 9 rows up.

I would expect to see quite a bit more perpendicular ridges too, if the OSB was soaked. Else all of it soaked along the long dimensions and not the short.

The ridges are smack in the middle line of the shingles, too....  I'm guessing something *weird* in the installation process, and not the weather.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to the discussion, but failure to leave spaces between the OSB sheets may result in buckling.

Panel spacing is an APA RECOMMENDATION, to provide installers with a means of minimizing the potential for panel buckling; however, it is not a requirement. Some manufacturers may require a space at the time of installation. Panel buckling may be an aesthetic or serviceability issue but is not a structural deficiency.

(http://www.apawood.org/buildertips/pages/M300.html)

It's not too late,  and thanks for the input.

They are correct to say that a gap is recommended. But as usual, they back down then and say it is not a structural deficiency. That is wrong. When OSB swells, it can pull the nail heads through the wood, or just pull apart around the nail. Add wind, and you got structure damage.

I'm just saying I wish the authority would speak up for best practices.