Best font type/size

Just finished making some major changes on my report format after fielding suggestions from a few of the brethren. My spouse, an English major, suggested the pages had too many empty spaces on them, too much page flipping. I adjusted the indentation, reduced photo size and started checking out the various available fonts. Verdanna looking good right now. Size 10.

Anyone have a favorite font type and size?

Marc

Oh, no. 10-point Verdana is completely wrong for what we do. I can't believe you made an error of such gargantuan proportion.

(Hey, Marc. I'm just kidding you.)

Course'. So, what font do you use? My spouse says the size depends on the type font, ie 12 appropriate for Ariel but Verdanna works ok with a 10.

Marc

Great question!

I happen to love Times-New-Roman 11 or 12, a "Serif" font and cross browser/platform compliant. It comes standard with all computers (Adobe came to be Adobe by "digitizing" typeface's in their proprietary program Illustrator BTW).

We sit here and talk about houses, but a much larger subject is the written word and how it looks!

Go here if interested: http://www.typography.com/

I wish I could say I speak French but I don't. My logo to the left is a "San Serif" font (without Serif's, the little tails on a capital "I" for example). A lot of people (without knowing why), consider Serif-fonts to be easier to read, including me.

Did you know Adobe Acrobat packages fonts in the file?...but will only render that font if the local machine has it. If not, it will render in the closes match (Times-New-Roman, next Serif-font, non-Serif font....Chinese...) font.

Happy Inspecting, no matter how you read it!

I prefer serifs, so I use Garamond 12 point because it looks great on the printed page. However, I've got to admit that it doesn't read very clearly on screen. I've been considering changing to Georgia.

Of the sans serif fonts, I think Verdana is exceptionally clear, if a bit featureless.

The research that's been done on this uniformly shows that people prefer sans serif fonts for on-screen reading and serif fonts for printed page reading.

Verdana 10 pt. for most HI reports.

Times New Roman 12 pt. for some narratives. I did Garamond for a while.

TNR is old, but I still like it.

Dosen't matter, type is a vector and totally scalable. Open a .PDF with words and pictures side-by-side, blow it up 1000% and the type will look great...not the photo.

I use Verdana 10ptid="Verdana">

Momentary drift. A CE class I attended today covered an article that you wrote for the ASHI Reporter 'Inspecting Tandem Circuit Breakers'. Thought you might want to know that you're getting around.

Good article.

Marc

Momentary drift. A CE class I attended today covered an article that you wrote for the ASHI Reporter 'Inspecting Tandem Circuit Breakers'. Thought you might want to know that you're getting around.

Good article.

Marc

Interesting since I have never written any article about anything remotely related to electricity. [?] I only joined ASHI about 2 months ago. My guess is that you have me mistaken for someone else. But thanks for recognition.

Good article.

Marc

Interesting since I have never written any article about anything remotely related to electricity. [?] I only joined ASHI about 2 months ago. My guess is that you have me mistaken for someone else. But thanks for recognition.

You're right. I got your username mixed up with someone else.

Marc

I can't cite it, but have read somewhere that sans serif is easier to read but that serifs make a reader less tired. Something nice and paradoxical like that.

I like the arial 11, as it is I who squint and strain while composing, and I email the reports.

BTW I quit emailing in Word as I used to because email messes up the formatting alot, now I convert to PDF, which really nails it down.

• 6 months later...