Stairs - Handrail

JEuriech

I will be inspecting this house on Monday. I assume that no hand rail is required on the first flight of steps due to it not having four or more risers in height? Is it also safe to assume that no guard rails are required on the landing if it is not more than 30" high? It looks kind of strange?

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Landing.jpg

61.63 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Landing B.jpg

60.71 KB

I will be inspecting this house on Monday. I assume that no hand rail is required on the first flight of steps due to it not having four or more risers in height? Is it also safe to assume that no guard rails are required on the landing if it is not more than 30" high? It looks kind of strange?

It looks stupid. It should have a guardrail for that reason alone.

It looks stupid. It should have a guardrail for that reason alone.

[:)]

They should put up a wall, hide the whole thing.

I agree with Brandon. The landing does not meet the requirements of IRC 311.7.5 because the "landing" does not have the same width as the stairway for 36 inches. So I'd say you could make a very good argument that a handrail is required all the way down.

R311.7.5 Landings for stairways. There shall be a floor or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. A flight of stairs shall not have a vertical rise larger than 12 feet (3658 mm) between floor levels or landings. The width of each landing shall not be less than the width of the stairway served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel.

I agree with Brandon. The landing does not meet the requirements of IRC 311.7.5 because the "landing" does not have the same width as the stairway for 36 inches. So I'd say you could make a very good argument that a handrail is required all the way down.

Also, if that's not a landing, the stairs are built wrong. The tread depth varies excessively...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

26. When is a handrail necessary?

Usually when there are three or more risers. However, if a situation poses a safety issue for the occupants, a condition requirement should be made regardless of the number of risers.

www.dallasinspectorservices.com

That doesn't answer my question. Which HUD standard does this come from? There are many.