Pex on tpr drain

Denray

About 2 feet away from the on damand wh the copper turned to Pex. No markings on it here where it was being used for the TPR line. Is it ok for the TPR line? What may have been the same line down in the crawl looks like it says 130 psi.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201111101809_tpr1.jpg

53.65?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111110175926_tpr2.jpg

56.24?KB

I would probably still check with your local authority, the interesting part of the verbiage in the CPC is "listed relief valve drain tube" and in the Zurn ICC-ES Listing PMG 1039 they don't specifically list it for relief valve drainage.

2010 CA Plumbing Code

608.5 Relief valves located inside a building shall be provided

with a drain, not smaller than the relief valve outlet, of galvanized

steel, hard-drawn copper piping and fittings, CPVC or

listed relief valve drain tube with fittings that will not reduce

the internal bore of the pipe or tubing (straight lengths as opposed

to coils) and shall extend from the valve to the outside of

the building, with the end of the pipe not more than two (2)

feet (610 mm) nor less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above

ground or the flood level of the area receiving the discharge

and pointing downward. Such drains shall be permitted to terminate

at other approved locations. Relief valve drains shall

not terminate in a building's crawl space. No part of such drain

pipe shall be trapped or subject to freezing. The terminal end of

the drain pipe shall not be threaded.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif ZURN PMG-1039.pdf

49.11?KB

Just need to watch out for the fitting they use to attach it. Many of the fittings have a reduced orifice compared to the tubing. The one in your picture doesn't look like it does.

I agree, it will never see that pressure, but worth noting, the pressure rating is usually given at a particular temperature and falls dramatically above that temperature.

• 8 years later...

It is hard to believe no one realizes PEX should never be used for a TPR drain.

TPR drains should extend outside and terminate in a visible location. Which means it will be exposed to sunlight. PEX is very sensitive to sunlight and will begin breaking down after about 60 days. Go back and look at PEX that has been in the sun for a year. It will break off in your hand.

I think you may be confusing what is done in your neck of the woods and what is done in mine.  The tpr would never(seldom if ever) terminate on the exterior here in wonderful Michigan.  That said, we never see it used that way.  BTW I have fondled a fair amount of pex and never had it break in my hand. 

3 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

Bill, go search a Facebook HI group. Any of them. Sooner or later every one of them gets a Georgia water heater discharge going up hill. Some so much that they could be described as overhead. They defend the practice more vehemently then they do the Confederate flag. 

I'm am at the point where I'd rather wash dishes or change oil than visit a FB page for home inspectors. 

• Haha 1

We have to go all the way back to the risen-from-the ashes OP to clear up the confusion.  The pipe refered to is not a drain one but a discharge one.  

It doesn't drain or run up or down it blasts like a Civil war muzzle-loader.  In GA it is supposed to be directed towards advancing boys in blue.

7 hours ago, Chad Fabry said:

I'm am at the point where I'd rather wash dishes or change oil than visit a FB page for home inspectors. 

I frequent several of them.  What else am I gonna do? It takes a long time to get recognition there. Until then, you're just another blade of grass.

I still chime in at TIJ every time I boot up. Always did.

A typical TPRV drain here is the white plastic type, plain old PVC. On a tank heater, the drain squirts into a pan under the tank.

Then the pan should have a drain pipe to the exterior or to a perimeter drain.

3/4"  PEX would be undersized in comparison to the ready-made thin-wall PVC, I think. Y'all know this but when lurkers come here to learn, they learn good.😄

• Like 1