Werner ladder at Lowes

Robert Jones

I dunno,

I've been considering adding a 17 footer. I have 13ft. and 21ft. Gorillas. They've held up really well but I find that with the 13 footer to get into some of our attics - high-ceilinged houses and garages - I have to first climb up on the 13footer in step ladder form, remove the hatch and then fold it out and extend it in order to get that last 5' from the top of the ladder into the attic. The 21footer gets me there without climbing down and re-folding the ladder but, jeez, it's heavy and quite the wrestling match. A 17 footer might get me into these more easily.

Those responding. Don't bother encouraging me to get one of those Extend and Climb or Telestep thingies - they're just too flimsy for my liking when they're fully extended and I don't think they'll reach some of these openings. I've already had one bad incident with a ladder that dumped me, I'm sure as hell not gonna be climbing on one of those.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I dunno,

I've been considering adding a 17 footer. I have 13ft. and 21ft. Gorillas. They've held up really well but I find that with the 13 footer to get into some of our attics - high-ceilinged houses and garages - I have to first climb up on the 13footer in step ladder form, remove the hatch and then fold it out and extend it in order to get that last 5' from the top of the ladder into the attic. The 21footer gets me there without climbing down and re-folding the ladder but, jeez, it's heavy and quite the wrestling match. A 17 footer might get me into these more easily.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Why would you want to wrestle the 21 or the 17 all the way to the attic hatch and back instead of just folding out and extending the 13.

Though I've found that with quite a few hatches, I can fold out and extend the 13, use the top of it to lift the hatch enough to rest the ladder. Then climb the ladder, finish removing the hatch, do the attic, climb back down on the ladder, reset the hatch, finish climbing down, and using the top of the ladder to lower the hatch into it's closed position.

I seldom carry my 17 into the house, just don't find much of a need for it even with the high ceilinged houses.

-

. . . Though I've found that with quite a few hatches, I can fold out and extend the 13, use the top of it to lift the hatch enough to rest the ladder. Then climb the ladder, finish removing the hatch, do the attic, climb back down on the ladder, reset the hatch, finish climbing down, and using the top of the ladder to lower the hatch into it's closed position. . . .

When I do that, mine leaves black scuff marks on the hatch. I sometimes drape my towel over the top first to avoid the marks. Don't the rubber feed on yours leave those marks?

. . . Though I've found that with quite a few hatches, I can fold out and extend the 13, use the top of it to lift the hatch enough to rest the ladder. Then climb the ladder, finish removing the hatch, do the attic, climb back down on the ladder, reset the hatch, finish climbing down, and using the top of the ladder to lower the hatch into it's closed position. . . .

When I do that, mine leaves black scuff marks on the hatch. I sometimes drape my towel over the top first to avoid the marks. Don't the rubber feed on yours leave those marks?

Same here. I don't do it that way anymore.

Marc

If you are in the 225 lbs. or below weight category, all you need is a 6' step ladder and a 16' extension ladder (both Type II), and thats it. They are aluminum and each weighs about 20 lbs. They are awesomely easy to carry around without breaking the china. If you don?t have a ladder/luggage rack on your vehicle this might not work for you. Walking through a house with a light wt. ladder is sweet. Otherwise, screw Little Giants.

LG serve many heights but they are too heavy for most HI work.

If you are in the 225 lbs. or below weight category, all you need is a 6' step ladder and a 16' extension ladder (both Type II), and thats it. They are aluminum and each weighs about 20 lbs. They are awesomely easy to carry around without breaking the china. If you don?t have a ladder/luggage rack on your vehicle this might not work for you. Walking through a house with a light wt. ladder is sweet. Otherwise, screw Little Giants.

How do you get onto two-story roofs?

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

24' extension. How do you it? I try not to go higher but I have 32' I don't advertise.

Very few houses in my area have an eaves at the 2nd story level without having an additional eaves somewhere at the 1st story level. I use one to get to the other, so I get by with just the 16' extension and 6' step. I also carry a 2' step to reach ceiling registers on low ceilings. It all fits within the 8' bed of my truck.

A detachable ladder rack that I made carries a 28' extension should I need it.

Marc

I sometimes use the Erby method as well. My Telesteps has black rubber knobs on top. I cured the black skid mark syndrome easily(?) with white electrical tape. You need to use a herringbone tape pattern, like you'd bandage a bad knee. Works great.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011112523422_hatch.jpg

34.69 KB

After the hatch is back in place, I put the ladder in the A Frame position and repaint each hatch. Part of my excellent customer service!

Really, I've never noticed the yellow pads leaving a black skid mark.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201111268435_Ladders001.jpg

78.9 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111126855_Ladders002.jpg

58.84 KB

Why would you want to wrestle the 21 or the 17 all the way to the attic hatch and back instead of just folding out and extending the 13.

Like Jim, I've tried that and ended up with dark marks on the hatch that I'd had to clean off. That ultimately took more time than if I'd used it in stepladder fashion to open the hatch and then unfolded it to get in there.

The white tape idea is fine but I'm using that 13footer outside to get from lower roofs to upper roofs on almost a daily basis and that'd tear up the tape.

These ladders aren't difficult to carry; slip your arm through the appropriate rung, reach down and grab the rung below and you can get around quite handily despite the weight. They are a little bit of a chore to open up in a narrow hallway or walk-in closet - it seems to me that the 17footer in the closed position would make high-ceilinged hatches no more difficult than conventional 8ft. ceiling hatches to get through with less wrestling in narrow confines and without climbing something that's gonna flex like crazy when I climb it.

If I ever get around to purchasing a 17footer, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Robert, I saw the new lightweight LG ladders with the fancy new quad locking mechanism and far easier locking mechanism about two months ago during an in-store demonstration at Costco. That guy was going store-to-store and selling those ladders at deep discount. You should check with LG or Costco and see if that guy will be in a store in your area soon so you can take advantage of the demonstration days price.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Robert, I saw the new lightweight LG ladders with the fancy new quad locking mechanism and far easier locking mechanism about two months ago during an in-store demonstration at Costco.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's how I got my 21 footer; paid about $325.

All this ladder talk has me looking @ that 17' extra light model you're talking about with the fancy locking mechanism. 20% lighter....how's that feel?

I haul a 21' all over the place now; someone stole my 13' LG.

One day last week, I tucked my Telesteps under my arm, took the elevator to the fourth floor, down the hall to the stairwell where there was a roof hatch with no ladder, popped up onto the roof and took some quick pics. It was all very discreet. That is where the flimsy little Teleteps is handy if not very safe.

Tried the 17ft. Werner today.

Raining like hell and my ladders dripping water. Started wiping down the small ladder with the Shamwow and noticed the client had a nice dry and new 17ft. Werner sitting against the wall of the garage. "Can I borrow that ladder to access your attic? That'd be easier than crossing those hardwood floors with one of these dripping wet ladders, " I asked. "Sure thing," he replied and I got to check it out.

It's actually about the same weight as the shorter Gorilla ladder but it opened and closed a lot smoother and I loved the fact that when it's fully extended in step ladder mode it was just a few inches below the ceiling. I didn't have to rest it against the edge of the scuttle and worry about it abrading anything and it was an easy step from the top of the ladder into the attic. I'll probably be getting one when I can score one at a good sale price.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You worked on a Sunday, Mike?

Marc

Sure,

I'm self employed; I create my own weekends. Besides, there's plenty of folks in this economy that, unlike me, can't afford to take a workday or two off to do an inspection. If I can help 'em out by working on their weekend, why not?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike