HI Industry Earnings

According to the stats I found, total inspections claimed by ASHI for 2000 exceeds the total sales of homes by about a million, so I guess quite a few folks got their homes inspected twice??? [:)]

Show us the stats you found.

It didn't take long to find a couple of charts that show 2000 existing home sales (sfr & condos) at just over 5 million and new home sales at just under 1. Or about 6 million total. Then the GAO estimates about 85% of mortgage applicants get an inspection. When you add homes that may get multiple inspections before a sale is finalized, as well as pre-listings etc, ASHI's estimate of 5 million inspections performed seems reasonable enough.

According to the stats I found, total inspections claimed by ASHI for 2000 exceeds the total sales of homes by about a million, so I guess quite a few folks got their homes inspected twice??? [:)]

It didn't take long to find a couple of charts that show 2000 existing home sales (sfr & condos) at just over 5 million and new home sales at just under 1. Or about 6 million total. Then the GAO estimates about 85% of mortgage applicants get an inspection. When you add homes that may get multiple inspections before a sale is finalized, as well as pre-listings etc, ASHI's estimate of 5 million inspections performed seems reasonable enough.

Isn't that a rather high estimate? I don't have any solid stats for this, but I've always heard and been told that 'at best' only 40-50% of home buyers get an inspection.

Just seems that the GAO estimate is rather 'rich'.

I wish I had some solid support for what I've "heard" over the last 10-12 years.

Down here in the South a lot less than 85% get inspections. There is a deep-seated mistrust of "pointy-head" educated people in this region. Heck in our state barely half the high-schoolers graduate. My experience at local AHJ's in rural counties was that design work for residential and commercial work is regarded as useless expense.

Please,

The average price for a home inspection was $300 in 1996. I should expect it's at least $400 now. If it isn't, every one of us should be on food stamps.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'd be interested in seeing a survey on what the average fee of a home inspection is. Just the inspection, not including radon, termite, etc.

Are there any credible stats as to how much income the HI industry as a whole pulls in?

no

for instance: http://www.google.com/search?q=average+ ... 1I7GGIT_en

ASHI has done operation surveys for a long time and usually they are pretty good indicators. I can't find my latest copy of the study right now.

The issues are regional. In our macro inspection areas the percent of inspections vs offers would be approx 70% of houses. I personally check the numbers every week for a six county area. I do a little math to calculate how many we are booking of the total, etc...... I am comfortable with our percent of total available. When I attend a meeting of inspectors I delight in asking "How many?" and am usually amazed that everyone is booked solid for months on end!

Mike, I do not know of any real data to rely on at a national level. The figure must be quite high because I see ads all the time telling folks they can make at least $5,000 per week (with no expense part time)

I think I was looking only at pre-owned detached home sales, so OK, using Richards figures, 6 million houses.

Can you say that 85% of new homes get inspected? Really?

I'd be interested in seeing a survey on what the average fee of a home inspection is. Just the inspection, not including radon, termite, etc.

The sample Agreement on my website lists the inspection fee at $400. That was an accident, I thought I scrubbed the whole doc before I pdf'd it. I might fix it, but probably not.

I charged my mother $350 for the rental she bought in December, but to be fair, she insisted on paying.

Can you say that 85% of new homes get inspected? Really?

Personally? Nope. The actual GAO figure is 86% of homes where a FHA insured mortgage was applied for, and I believe that is from 2002. In my neck of the woods I would guess that the number of existing homes sold without an inspection is less than 10%, but probably much higher with new homes ('cos, y'know, they're just perfect). But you may want to wash those particular numbers because of whence I pulled them.

Is there a separation of FHA inspections and privately hired inspections, or are they lumping them in together? If they are, those numbers are suspect at best.

I'd love to see some real numbers of privately hired inspections for this area. I wouldn't be surprised to find that less than fifty percent are inspected.

I'd also be willing to bet, twentyfive of the fifty percent not inspected, would be due to the influence of those with a financial interest in the sale. They're very skilled at that around here, as I'm sure they are, elswhere.

There's no obvious evidence of those numbers being close to accurate around here.