Vinyl details

Darren

Given just the photo:

The exterior vinyl siding is not properly flashed in some places. Flashing is a basic building component used to help keep rainwater from breaching exterior wall and roof surfaces. Improper flashing can result in water intrusion issues such as rot of building material, mold growth and termite infestations.

I'd be looking for signs of water intrusion and for a previous exterior wall finish still present behind the vinyl. Anything found could add-to or change my write up. Nothing found could eliminate it.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

R703.2 in the 2006 IRC requires felt or other approved water resistive barrier over studs or sheathing.

Marc

Yes, it did!

WRB behind vinyl was started to be forced in my area around 2008. Homes built prior to that (including my own home) do not have it. Inspectors pretty much never report on it.

True, but the siding manufacturers have always recommended it in their installation instructions. Isn't there code language that says manufacturer instructions should be followed?

There's a difference between instructions and recommendations. Builders use that to their advantage.