To my TIJ brothers,

I have closed my inspection business after roughly 15 years of involvement.  I'm almost 60 now and at this point I never wanted to retain both my full time job and the inspection business.  The final decision was to let the home inspection business go and keep hacking away at the mailman gig I've had for 35 years at the USPS.  Inspecting houses has been a fantastic experience in many ways and I already miss aspects of it.

In the beginning back in 2007,  this forum and its members were a valuable resource to me.  Without it I doubt I could have developed to the success I had.  Specifically, there were a couple of members who had reached out and called me on the phone to coach me, unsolicited.  Among these were our good friend Brian Goodman who generously spent substantial amounts of time on the phone and helped me in other great ways too.  I also remember Chad Fabry calling me and seriously boosting my confidence with his support.  In the more recent past Chad had even invited me to be part of a team who would have the task of helping develop the new NHIE exam.  At that particular time there were so many other things going on in my life I chose to pass on that great opportunity.  Thinking back, there's nothing I regret more than not taking Chad up on that offer.

I have not been on here much lately but I hope to pop in now and then, even though I'm no longer active in the business.  Thank you gentleman, all of you.  Your efforts in coaching and supporting me never went unnoticed and they will not be forgotten.  

For those of you still walking roofs, swinging from rafters and squirming through crawl spaces, be safe brothers.

Peace out

• Like 3

John you gave as good as you got!  I also quit two years ago and should not have done that.  I keep up with the profession with memberships but have made a conscious effort to let others take over.  Of course, I stop by the office quite a bit and enjoy the phone calls with questions from inspectors. 

Working on the exam for almost twenty years was most gratifying and put great men and women into my life.  I really do treasure that work.  

Good luck and come back when you want! 

• Like 1

John, 

Many people helped me get started in this gig, and all of them were from TIJ. 

People eager to learn are few and far between. That attitude is the essence of excellence. I didn't invite you to be an SME for what it would do for you-it was for what you had to offer. We have plenty of cookie-cutter inspectors in the world; we need more thinkers and learners.  Like you.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement from home inspections, John. I wish I had followed your example. I had to give it up about four years ago due to knee pain. By the time I had both knees replaced, I was looking in the rearview mirror at 70 and that's too friggin old!

Anyway, thanks for coming here to contribute. You, and all truly professional inspectors, are what this site was intended for. You gave as good as you got. Thank you.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• Like 3

It’s interesting you know.  I was never a business man before becoming a home inspector, but just a civil servant.  In the beginning I felt dirty taking 3 or 400 for an inspection.   In the middle I was like, now I know what I’m working for.  Near the end it was, these people aren’t paying me enough!  

I remember being in crawl spaces with fungus all above me and sewer saturated soil beneath me.  I remember thinking, “John, what the F are you doing in here?”   I remember exiting the crawl covered with grime of who knows what sorts.  I typically would display myself to clients with disgusted looks on my face and my overalls all dirty mud or whatever.  My intent was as if to say, “look at me because pictures say a thousand words”. 

I never wore proper protection because I thought it was a hassle and thought it hampered my ability to see what I needed to see.   In retrospect I admit this was not wise for me to do.  I was reckless towards my own safety at times.  I’m not terribly proud of that part.

The phone calls and other contact attempts have now dropped to almost nil. My website is still published but the content is edited down to a sign off message   It will be up for just a few more weeks.  If anyone cares to you can see the sign off there  

https://arundelhomeinspection.com/

….oh, and I sold my inspection vehicle today.  The 2012 Transit Connect that I spoke about on here from time to time.  I still love it and likely will regret selling it.  With 90k on the ticker I got my asking price of $8500 in less than 24 hours of listing.  The first person who came to look at it bought it.  I need that money to offset a slight and temporary negative cash flow situation caused by inflation.  

I still have my inspection tools and can’t see myself letting them go.  Maybe I’ll unload the 1027 CRM’s if they’re not too far down the obsolescence trail.  Anyone have an opinion on what they might be worth? I have 6.  Maybe I’ll keep 2 for giggles and sell 4.  

I never used cameras to the point of failure.  I did wear them out pretty good though.  Before they gave up id always bring a fresher one online.  I had good luck buying mediocre used ones off EBay.  I still have all of them but they’re scattered about.  If I rounded them all up and put them in a pile on the table, that would be a conversation piece, a testimony of fulfilling journey.  

John, the 1027s are still pretty tough.  Nothing fancy and they get the job done.  I sold my company along with 50+ devices couple of years ago and they still get calibrated and used.  Especially on large project like apartment buildings etc where you may not want to leave a $2,000 device for a few days!  Email Salina at Accurateinspectionsmi@gmail.com  She may be interested. 

• Like 1