Plumbing inspector's duty?

mridgeelk

Don't count on the plumbing inspector to tell ANYONE anything that doesn't relate DIRECTLY to plumbing deficiencies. Even if there were permits taken out, it isn't likely that the muni inspectors crawled up there under the home and looked at much of anything.

If this is like a typical updating/ gentrification job of an older home which I see around here, there aren't permits pulled for any aspects of the job.

Regardless of the status of permits and city inspections, it's wrong. Write it up.

What is holding that floor up????????

By judging the appearance of the joists and sub-floor, I would say that that home is much older than the PVC drain pipe, and the cuts look fairly fresh. Not that plumbers are not responsible for actions such as that, but I would say that it was definately a DIY job. That means that it most likely was not inspected. As others have said, the plumbing inspectors job is to inspect the plumbing. He/she may have little or no knowledge about structural (or any other) issues.

Originally posted by Brian G

I'm just curious: has anyone here ever seen an AHJ crawl under a house? [?]

Brian G.

Not in the Job Description? [^]

In the nearby town of McMinnville, there's a muni inspector who will go into the crawlspace, into the attic and on the roof if she feels that it's necessary.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

In the nearby town of McMinnville, there's a muni inspector who will go into the crawlspace, into the attic and on the roof if she feels that it's necessary.

Good for her. [:-thumbu]

However, something tells me our jobs are in no danger from uncompromising AHJ's.

Brian G.

If They Were, We Wouldn't Be Here [:-magnify

Originally posted by jon_ran

What is holding that floor up????????

The subfloor. If those boards are tongue and groove, that's a mighty strong, albeit springy, assembly. Even if they aren't T&G, they're going to bridge to the solid joists.

It's total crapwork, but I see stuff like this a hundred times a year in old houses throughout the City. It just needs fixing.

Also, I love it when plumbers do this stuff. It gives me ammunition for my nearly daily commentary on their general worthlessness as building trade professionals.