vent termination

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by AHI

Vents for both upstairs bathrooms are terminating in the attic. They are terminating just below the ridge vent. There are no signs of problems caused by moisture. Built in 1996. Is this setup a problem that should be noted in the report or do they get away with this?

In my area, that would work fine. I don't know about Mary Land.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ditto. I've never seen a bath vent run to the outdoors, or a problem resulting from the lack thereof, in Mississippi or Alabama. I know that doesn't fly father north, where ice isn't just in scattered puddles on the ground. Is there someone in your area you can ask?

Brian G.

All Climates Are Not Created Equal [:-hot][:-cold]

It's wrong. I put it in my report. The client can decide how big of a deal to make of it.

"2006 IRC M1501.1 Outdoor discharge. The air removed by every mechanical exhaust system shall be discharged to the outdoors. Air shall not be exhausted into an attic, soffit, ridge vent or crawl space."

Similar language is at M1507.2 which applies specifically to bathrooms and toilet rooms.

I agree that it's wrong, though I seldom see a problem as a result. Some might call it an "acceptable deficiency." Depending on my mood of the moment, I may or may not make report comments on it. Either way I would not make much of an issue with it.

As Brandon stated above it's wrong and should be written in your report.

As far as no signs of moisture, how do you know how the current occupants live. Maybe no one uses the bathroom, it's possible the master bath vent is only in the toilet room where it eliminates odor only.

Your other concern should be when you client sells their house next year and then Brandon calls it out. You can't defend your report because Brandon wrote in his report the code section.

Now your client says "my handyman vented the fans properly, here's his bill for $325.00. Please make check payable to "Mr. I won't hire you for my next inspection."

Whenever someone asks me how significant a problem is, I alway say you have to think of re-sale.

I put it in the report. Here is what I said:

The vents for the upstairs bathrooms terminate in the attic space just below the ridge vent. Although this arrangement does not appear to have caused a moisture problem yet, it is still an incorrect installation. All mechanical venting devices should terminate to the outside of the structure. If you are concerned that this arrangement might cause a moisture problem in the attic in the future, hire a contractor to correct it.

• 1 month later...

Here is an IR image I use to demonstrate why they need to be vented to the outdoors. The vent was not running and note how much heat is escaping up and heating the structure above. The day I took this the temp outside was -15 degrees, and there was one heck of an ice dam. So, I always suggest that the vents terminate outdoors.

Image Insert:

2008511112312_IR_0167.jpg

31.85 KB

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

Vents for both upstairs bathrooms are terminating in the attic. They are terminating just below the ridge vent. There are no signs of problems caused by moisture. Built in 1996. Is this setup a problem that should be noted in the report or do they get away with this?

Image Insert:

2008313203333_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20028.jpg

150.27 KB

I can't say I've ever seen bathroom vents with metal rigid pipe like that , but I always recommend rerouting them to the exterior.