power ventilators

John Dirks Jr

As Jim said, it is just dirt around the vent. It could also be rust or in some cases I have even seen soot from the ones that have burned out.

They are or were real common throughout the southern part of the country. The major issue I have with them is their lifespan. They just do not last in the southern heat. If you can get 3-5 years out of one you are doing good.

I seldom see them in the Middle TN area, but when I found them while in MS I would say that 75% of the time they did not work. Their motors were seized up.

I seldom see them in the Middle TN area, but when I found them while in MS I would say that 75% of the time they did not work. Their motors were seized up.

Ditto in Texas, except the failure rate is closer to 99% due to heat.

Plus if you run the numbers, they don't really save any money. Give me an old fashion wind turbine any time.

Originally posted by inspector57

Ditto in Texas, except the failure rate is closer to 99% due to heat.

Plus if you run the numbers, they don't really save any money. Give me an old fashion wind turbine any time.

The manufactures say to oil the motor once a year. Funny how they can make it through the warranty period and then fail. Ridge vent are my preference. If a client is a die hard "burn some electricity" to make hot air rise kind of guy, I tell them to go to Granger supply and purchase a permanently lubricated BB motor for $100.

Originally posted by AHIS

Here is one from today, where they did not even bother to hook power up to it. I'm sure it has been like that since the roof was installed in 2006.

Image Insert:

2008331122414_1.jpg

55.96 KB[/size=1

They couldn't afford an electrician after having a new roof put on.