Windows XP

How many of you are using XP?

I already have forgotten where, but there is a petition online among XP users, which I signed, petitioning Microsoft to extend its support of XP past a coming deadline.

Most of the "pro" level laptops being offered these days still offer XP as OS, because it appears to b e preferred by business users.

So, Cary.

Do you like your XP? How Much?

I bought laptops for myself and daughter in December and had to sort thru lots of choices to get XP Pro.

They say Vista won't run software prior to '07. Still using my Office XP '03 and it's fine.

Also have Open Office and work some in it.

I think MS will end up supporting XP beyond that date regardless.

I think they'll be pressured by the computer manufacturers to do so. Hell, AsusTek just came out with an XP version of their eePC which had been selling like hotcakes with a linux based operating system. It'll probably take off again with an XP operating system. They'd be nuts to not support it 'cuz the eePC is a platform that is really, really attractive to folks in third world countries. Heck, it's just about the perfect under $500 starter laptop for a kid here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I do like XP Jim. I started with Windows '95 and each version has been better than the previous. I couldn't say anything about Vista because I haven't used it yet. I suppose when I get a new computer I will upgrade to Vista, but frankly I haven't heard anything spectacular about it.

I run Google Desktop on my XP system and I think that is integral with Vista, along with a bunch of security features and the ability to maximize the dual processor configuration in the new machines.

Maybe some Vista users can chime in here.

That will be the day I upgrade to Linux[:-alien]

I have both XP pro and home, home is better but not by much. Pro has serious issues with networks when not all pc's are running the same service packs, fun stuff like print spooler errors that consume all your resources so you don't have enough cpu volume to make any repairs. If you run a stand alone server you will likely encounter this and many other fun errors. Gotta love the business model of letting the consumer find all the bugs[:-censore

Tom

WJ,

You're showing your age now. Can of Viennas and a sleeve of saltines is what we called a "logger's lunch". As a software cheapskate, I don't follow the reasoning to keep upgrading software just to keep up with the OS.

I guess I'm just not a "good consumer".

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

That will be the day I upgrade to Linux[:-alien]

I have both XP pro and home, home is better but not by much. Pro has serious issues with networks when not all pc's are running the same service packs, fun stuff like print spooler errors that consume all your resources so you don't have enough cpu volume to make any repairs. If you run a stand alone server you will likely encounter this and many other fun errors. Gotta love the business model of letting the consumer find all the bugs[:-censore

Tom

Two days ago, I did a job for a microsoft programmer. I made a wisecrack about how I'm a compumoron and wanted to know whether I should upgrade to XP 'cuz of all the different things I'd heard. He said that Microsoft's way of doing things is to throw a program together quickly and get it out onto the market and let the consumers find the bugs, instead of microsoft expending time and resources to do that, and that way they get the software sold. It's the 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' mentality; if they can get your money now, they aren't worried about the bad publicity because as stuff gets identified they'll just toss out free fixes for the issues and they know you'll come back for the next whatever it is because you don't have a whole lot of better alternative choices out there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The only OS I've used is XP Pro. I had one "fatal error" incident, whatever the hell that is, which my Maxtor saved me on. Other than that and minor glitches, I've had no problems to speak of. I won't "upgrade" until I can't function with what I have anymore. Then I also plan to go Linux.

Brian G.

New & Hot, Don't Mean Squat [^]

As of June 30, 2008, Windows XP will no longer be available in the marketplace. Microsquash will continue to "support" XP until 2013, or 2014, easily long enough for anyone w/an XP machine to receive support.

Vista is so full of bugs it's pathetic. That doesn't mean it doesn't run someone's primary software just fine. I've used it and it works great if folks are running any Office Suite product, or other MS hairball.

BUT, if you have all manner of little utilities, tertiary vendor software, or other software not Microsoft derived, you can be very, very screwed. Large corporations and businesses are not buying it. They don't want it.

Heck, there are internal memo's of the leading officers of Microsoft that were introduced in trial a few months ago. The VP in charge of Vista development stated flat out that it doesn't work well, and it was deficient in critical areas. Several other upper tier MS officers all had very bad things to say about it.

On several profound levels, Vista is a failure and total disaster, but we have to suck it up, because Microsoft has to make it work. Unfortuneately, R&D is being done on our backs.

And another thing, there is no Vistas version for Tablet PC's. Where are they going to go?

Originally posted by hausdok

He said that Microsoft's way of doing things is to throw a program together quickly and get it out onto the market and let the consumers find the bugs, instead of microsoft expending time and resources to do that, and that way they get the software sold. It's the 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' mentality; if they can get your money now, they aren't worried about the bad publicity because as stuff gets identified they'll just toss out free fixes for the issues and they know you'll come back for the next whatever it is because you don't have a whole lot of better alternative choices out there.

That's frustration talking. First, people complain about how long it takes MS to release a new OS. It takes a long time because they have a very large beta testing program and a very massive (yes, bloated) set of software to test. Once the new OS is out, then people say things like, "They just throw a program together quickly and get it into the market."

People also complain that many "promised" features are left out of the final product. The reason the features are left out is because they aren't ready - they didn't pass beta testing.

MS is the company people love to hate. I hate them at least once a day. But, in general, people don't understand the real reasons for why things aren't perfect - and they certainly aren't shy to bitch.

Originally posted by ozofprev

He said that Microsoft's way of doing things is to throw a program together quickly and get it out onto the market and let the consumers find the bugs, instead of microsoft expending time and resources to do that, and that way they get the software sold. It's the 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' mentality; if they can get your money now, they aren't worried about the bad publicity because as stuff gets identified they'll just toss out free fixes for the issues and they know you'll come back for the next whatever it is because you don't have a whole lot of better alternative choices out there.

That's frustration talking. First, people complain about how long it takes MS to release a new OS. It takes a long time because they have a very large beta testing program and a very massive (yes, bloated) set of software to test. Once the new OS is out, then people say things like, "They just throw a program together quickly and get it into the market."

People also complain that many "promised" features are left out of the final product. The reason the features are left out is because they aren't ready - they didn't pass beta testing.

MS is the company people love to hate. I hate them at least once a day. But, in general, people don't understand the real reasons for why things aren't perfect - and they certainly aren't shy to bitch.

Hi,

Well, sure, that's a reasonable argument but it would be easier to accept if it weren't for the fact that this was a Microsoft programmer who's worked for them for about six years who was talking.

I don't have to look very hard to find a microsoft programmer client. Heck, 27% of my business last year came from just the Chinese microsoft employees that hired me after they read about me on their message board. They were easiest for me to track because of the way their names are spelled. I've got plenty more who're Polish, Irish, British, Ukrainian, Korean, Russian, and then the Americans. None of them seem to be frustrated; quite content in fact. They're still buying houses priced well above the median in a market where most other folks aren't.

The guy said it so matter-of-fact, like it was no big deal and everyone knows it, so it stuck with me.

Personally, I'm just happy when the thing works reasonably well and isn't locking up all the time. The XP machine I'm working on in my office is that machine; the Vista machine upstairs in my wife's office that I use sometimes locks up constantly; usually if I decide to try and stop it from doing something it has started, like a download because I've changed my mind, and it's a royal pain in the keester. I've yet to have ever used a computer with Linux on it. I was thinking of buying one of those under $200 linux machines down at Frye's just to play around with it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

But it's one guy on one day. I have seen many MS programmers get very, very, very upset at people who complain that Windows and MS are sloppy. It's not uncommon on programmer forums to have people refer to "Windoze" to refer to its speed, or other names to complain about other aspects of MS or its products. Computers and software are annoying, but MS has many decent folk and they do have very rigorous testing.

TIJ runs on Microsoft.

My big complaint with Vista is that it takes so long to boot-up. I am ready for the the next generation of reasonably priced computers that do not require a hard drive (to be replaced by flash memory) and the process of starting the computer will be shortened. The battery life will also be increased.

Thread drift...

My younger son and I were watching the history of computers on one of the discovery channels and they showed the original PC's and quoted the cost of $5,000 per meg for RAM. My son's eyes widened as he looked at his 2-Gig flash memory card that we bought for $9.99. I am sure he was trying to figure out how to invent a time machine [:-idea]!

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

I am ready for the the next generation of reasonably priced computers that do not require a hard drive (to be replaced by flash memory) and the process of starting the computer will be shortened. The battery life will also be increased.

They are already here. Right now, their capabilities are limited by the available flash drive sizes but as flash drive technology gets better they'll become more practical. Still, the AsusTek EeePC is ideal for a kid to learn on. If my fingers weren't so damned pudgy I probably would have bought one. I think they'd be the perfect birthday gift for a kid who's just getting old enough to become interested in using computers.

They're pre-loaded with a bunch of stuff that makes them attractive to a kid or even a compu-moron like myself. The danged things have easily 10 times the harddrive capacity and 100 times the amount of Ram that I had on my first business computer. Here's a little automated slideshow demo. Turn off the volume - the music is on a loop, repeats about every 7 seconds and will drive you nuts.

Their bare-bones PC selection that uses conventional harddrive components is here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They are already here. Right now, their capabilities are limited by the available flash drive sizes but as flash drive technology gets better they'll become more practical. Still, the AsusTek EeePC is ideal for a kid to learn on. If my fingers weren't so damned pudgy I probably would have bought one. I think they'd be the perfect birthday gift for a kid who's just getting old enough to become interested in using computers.

They're pre-loaded with a bunch of stuff that makes them attractive to a kid or even a compu-moron like myself. The danged things have easily 10 times the harddrive capacity and 100 times the amount of Ram that I had on my first business computer. Here's a little automated slideshow demo. Turn off the volume - the music is on a loop, repeats about every 7 seconds and will drive you nuts.

Their bare-bones PC selection that uses conventional harddrive components is here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I bought an EEE PC last month as a few of our users had bought one and I needed to make adjustments so they could use it (the resoultion height is around 480 pixels).

The keyboard is definitely an issue for anyone with large hands. My hands started to cramp up after using it for about 30 minutes. It would be perfect if it had a touch screen though. My fiance on the other hand loves it and now uses it more than her normal laptop. It's extremely light and quick to startup. Runs Open Office and Firefox natively.

They do have a Linux and Windows version but if you get the Windows version you get a smaller hard drive. Asus announced they have a new version coming out in the next few days which a much bigger hard drive. The drives are solid state which is awesome as it means there are no moving parts. The new version moves the side speakers so that they have make the screen larger but the chasis the same.

Although the screen isn't touch screen there are a few guys online who've posted how to remove the current screen and solder a touch screen onto it for $60 which I might do. There was a touch screen model in Hong Kong but they don't know if they will release one here.

Also, regarding XP. They just released Service Pack 3 which is supposed to be a big deal. 95% of it is composed of updates MS has released since the last updates that most everyone already has on their computer. The other 5% are a few features they added into Vista but don't account for much. It's definitely not a critical update.

Dominic

Jim,

I use two laptops - 1 with XP, 1 with Vista. Even though the Vista computer is newer I much prefer the 3 yr old computer, it's significantly faster. I just read that many companies are not upgrading their computers to Vista and plan to wait for the next OS from MS. I really read nothing positive about Vista.

Originally posted by Eric B

Jim,

I use two laptops - 1 with XP, 1 with Vista. Even though the Vista computer is newer I much prefer the 3 yr old computer, it's significantly faster. I just read that many companies are not upgrading their computers to Vista and plan to wait for the next OS from MS. I really read nothing positive about Vista.

The problem might be all the extra junk that companies like Dell, HP, etc, add to your computer to make their residuals. I wiped my XP laptop clean and installed Vista fresh without any add-ons and it's actually faster. Part of this could be because it's running in 64 bit mode and XP was only 32 bit mode.

Go into your control panel, click add/remove programs and remove all the stuff your not using. You can also turn off the Aero theme as that takes up quite a few resources.

I wrote an article on speeding up your computer, you can read it here . Mainly it covers moving to a lighter virus scan program, and using MSCONFIG to control what programs start up when your computer does. Chances are you have a ton of programs that are starting up (quicktime, real player, etc).

Or you can just wipe it clean and install Ubuntu [:-slaphap