Turn off that GPS!

Thanks to the time of year and a foot of snow, I haven't done an inspection since last Friday morning. And, as I showered and mentally prepared for my 2:00 PM inspection the thought arises - my truck's been sitting in the driveway for four days under a blanket of snow with the GPS plugged in, on and charging. [:-sour] I'm about to deal with a dead battery... RATS! [:-weepn]

Don't forget to unplug your GPS for extended down times!

A little drift; but I'm wondering how long does your GPS hold a charge. I had an inspection over 45 minutes away, and had it plugged in the whole way there. Then I unplugged the GPS but kept it on. By the time I hit the road it had been around three and half hours, and noticed that the GPS was off. I figured it went into a sleep mode or something, but when I turned it on it flashed low battery and turned itself off again.

I've had it for over year and always kept it plugged in or turned it off when I stashed it away when I parked. I guess I just expected it to hold a charge for more than 3 and half hours. Is this the same for most brands? I have a Tom Tom. (I know it's not the best but I'm still content with it, might go with a Garmin once I recalibrate after the holidays)

Frank

I have noticed that many times after I l leave one of my folding maps open and unused for several hours they re-fold automatically. I also had a magnetic device that always pointed north. It was worthless anywhere on the south side of the state.

I am at a stage (passage) in my life where I do not accept an appointment unless I have been there before or they send a driver.

Remember door bell batteries? Ray-o-Vac, Everedy, Edison?

You should never go places that require electronic devices to guide you!

I have noticed that many times after I l leave one of my folding maps open and unused for several hours they re-fold automatically. I also had a magnetic device that always pointed north. It was worthless anywhere on the south side of the state.

I am at a stage (passage) in my life where I do not accept an appointment unless I have been there before or they send a driver.

Remember door bell batteries? Ray-o-Vac, Everedy, Edison?

You should never go places that require electronic devices to guide you!

Yay Les!

I'm glad I have a compass for hunting instead of one of those things. 2 hrs of battery life? Then what? Build a fire and wait to be rescued?

I was listening to NPR one day, and they were describing how a guy drove his car off a cliff, tumbled over several times, but miraculously survived.

When asked what happened, the driver explained that there had been a heavy rain that limited visibility, so he was moving slowly and following the instructions of his GPS. The GPS told him to take a right turn, but no one had told the GPS that a certain bridge had been removed the previous year.

I have two outlets in my vehicle, one that is hot all the time and one that is only hot when the car is running. I plug the GPS into the one that is ONLY hot when the car is running.

Start the car, GPS turns on, 15-20 seconds later, I have a screen that accepts input. When turn car off, GPS signals it has lost power and will shutdown in 30 seconds unless I request otherwise.

I purchased lifetime updates from Garmin. About once a quarter they send me an email that updated maps are available. Takes about 3 hours to download and update the GPS.

If the GPS is plugged in to charge but it is not turned on, a good car battery will last a very long time. Once the GPS battery is full, the draw almost ceases.

Add to that, the size of the GPS battery compared to the size of a car battery is no match. The car battery can fill many a GPS batteries and still have enough juice to get the engine started. The reserve power of the car battery will sustain it for a long time.

How about how they suggest that you unplug your cell phone charger when you're not charging your phone? Isn't that a mis-leading suggestion? Am I correct in thinking that if the phone is not plugged in and charging, there is no draw?

How about how they suggest that you unplug your cell phone charger when you're not charging your phone? Isn't that a mis-leading suggestion? Am I correct in thinking that if the phone is not plugged in and charging, there is no draw?

As far as I understand it, AC power is still used whether or not the phone is plugged into the charger. With DC, I don't know.

Well, for what it's worth (and this is a little bit of drift), the tech at the T-mobile store was explaining that phones on AC chargers are "smart" and stop charging after the phone battery is fully charged. But, DC powered chargers apparently keep charging and can wear out your phone battery. His point had nothig to do with this discussion, bir apparently it's best to limit charging a phone in your car.

I've got a power converter plugged in to the rear lighter in my van. Then a power strip plugged into the converter. Use it to have AC to charge my computer, gps, phone, camera batteries, rechargeable batteries, etc. One switch (on the power strip) shuts everything down.

-

One switch (on the power strip) shuts everything down.

John,

Anyone want to take a stab at why I've had more dead batteries in my trucks than I care to remember? Hint: I walk out to my truck and hear a screeching alarm sound [:-censore

I carry jump start cables at all times, but am tempted to carry my battery charger as well. Asking agent's for jump starts is getting old.

I always back into driveways just in case the need for a jump start arises.