Furnace in Garage

missylrn

It has been brought to our attention that our furnace was not installed to code (by the previous owner). It apparently needs to be 18" off the ground in our garage. Should this have been brought to our attention during our home inspection by our inspection engineer? I realize they can't know every code but from what I hear this is pretty basic common sence and is an "unsafe" situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It has been brought to our attention that our furnace was not installed to code (by the previous owner). It apparently needs to be 18" off the ground in our garage. Should this have been brought to our attention during our home inspection by our inspection engineer? I realize they can't know every code but from what I hear this is pretty basic common sence and is an "unsafe" situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The furnace ignition source is what you should be concerned with. How high above the floor is that?

Regardless of whether or not this should have been reported on (what did your inspector say to that?), if you bring in a plumber, the plumber will tell you something that was *missed* with the plumbing. Same for an electrician. Same for a roofer. I guarantee that.

Who's tag-line is "Hon, your inspector shoulda seen that." ?

It has been brought to our attention that our furnace was not installed to code (by the previous owner). It apparently needs to be 18" off the ground in our garage. Should this have been brought to our attention during our home inspection by our inspection engineer?

Did the previous owner bring this to your attention before or after the home was sold?

As Richard stated the "flame" -source of ignition- needs to be 18" above the garage floor. Someone may be thinking that the whole furnace needs to be 18" above the floor.

Some background on the situation:

We bought the house 1.5 years ago. A few months ago we received a notice for an open permit. The permit was opened in 2002 by the previous owner for some plumbing and furnace work. In order to close this old permit (which was NOT disclosed by the previous owner) we had to have the town out to inspect. They did and all of the work had been done but the only issue was that the furnace (ignition) was not the proper height (only 6 inches off the ground and not the 18 inches it's supposed to be).

I have not had any out yet to give estimate so no one gave me the tag line "the inspector should have caught it"

I realize the majority of the issue lies with the owner not disclosing but what did I pay for with the inspection. While this is not my background I don't need someone to tell me "it seems to be working". I think I paid for the inspector to tell me if there were any MAJOR UNSAFE issues with the house. IE - the chance of blowing up my home every time we start our cars.

You can decide for yourself if your inspector missed something obvious and important.

The IRC defines "Ignition Source" as, "a flame, spark or hot surface capable of igniting flammable vapors or fumes." so it's not just the burners that are considered. So if and when you have the boiler moved, I'd recommend moving the whole unit 18" above the floor if practical. I'm pretty sure this got debated in another thread.

It also needs to be protected from vehicle impact if a car or whatever can hit it.

Furnace - heats air

Boiler - heats water

Now it's clear that the burners are within 18" of the floor.

See if the installer put his company's sticker on the boiler jacket. New Yorker installation instructions specifically state not to install their boilers where gasoline and any other flammable vapors or liquids are used/stored.

Who puts boilers in garages in North Jersey?

Thanks for the clarification. Our home inspector's report calls it a "furnace". So we assumed it was a furnace.

I believe the previous homeowner (handyman) installed it.

The garage is heated - maybe that's why it's there?

Thanks for the help. We've contacted a licensed plumber who will fix the problem. I just wish the inspector brought this unsafe situation to our attention before we bought the house and we would have had the previous owner fix it. That's what I paid him for.