Happy Halloween

Bill Kibbel

I coppied the below from http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/... thought it was interesting.

Halloween's origin is ancient and astronomical. Since the fifth century BC, Halloween has been celebrated as a cross-quarter day, a day halfway between an equinox (equal day / equal night) and a solstice (minimum day / maximum night in the northern hemisphere). With a modern calendar, however, the real cross-quarter day will occur next week. Another cross-quarter day is Groundhog's Day. Halloween's modern celebration retains historic roots in dressing to scare away the spirits of the dead.

I tried to be nice this year. Last year I passed out candy onions. You know, a stick, wrapper, the whole nine yards. Whatever the hell that means. Parents didn't think it was funny.

This year I handed out slices of bread. No sugar. I thought it was a great Idea. They got mad again.

Am I the only one that wants to fix the house in the pic Bill posted?

Dawg,

You need to spend a little less time in other people's houses and a little more time outside. You got enough firewood to feed that oak-munching hunk of boiler you got outside this season? If not, it's time you tuned the Stihl up and started making some sawdust.

Jimmy

• 3 years later...

HDR imaging. (high dynamic range) At the most basic level, it's layering several photos of the same scene that were taken with different exposure levels. Using software, the photos are blended together to form a single image that shows a wide range of detail found in real scenes. Greater detail can be seen in the areas in direct sunlight and in the deep shadows.

Check out Trey Ratcliff's stuff. he does it for a living. http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/

Professional photographers and serious hobbyists have nice cameras, tripods, and most importantly, time to execute great stuff. For people like me with cheap cameras and not a lot of time to shoot pictures a good software program goes a long way.

I use Corel PSP X2 which is a power packed photo software program which doesn't cost a lot of money. About 100 bucks I think. It has sharpening tools and hundreds of nuances you can use to produce and modify images. Some sharpening tools are as simple as pressing a button once, twice, etc.

I also use Photoshop Elements which is also powerful but does not provide the nuances that Corel does.

I pasted this from the help section of my Corel program.

Most digital photos need some level of sharpening because of the softness introduced in the capturing process of digital cameras. Camera movement at the moment of capture can also produce photos in need of sharpening, and digital cameras are more prone than film cameras to producing slightly out-of-focus photos. In most cases, this problem is easy to fix.

Color, tonal, and resizing corrections tend to soften your photo, so it is best to apply any necessary sharpening before you print, share, or archive your photos.

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo provides sharpening commands that improve blurry photos by increasing the contrast of adjacent pixels. The following sharpening commands can be applied to a selection, a layer, or the entire photo:

? You can sharpen high-frequency details, such as edges, while ignoring low-frequency details, such as large structures, gradients, and background colors.

? You can improve image focus and clarity by increasing the contrast between adjacent pixels, particularly along edges in the photo.

? You can sharpen the mid- to high-contrast edges in the image without enhancing noise, as is often done with professional color correction.

OK,

Thanks, not sure that's what I'm looking at. I'm trying to figure out what special effects were used on this photo. Both photos are of the same car. The first photo is obviously taken using normal exposure, etc., the second has had something done to it. I thought it was pretty interesting the way it make it look like it was hand drawn/painted.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014393488_24stude.jpg

62.07 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20143934849_24stude2.jpg

94.93 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike