Linked In

No harm in trying. It takes 1-2 clicks to accept a request to connect, and that's it. You will probably find that people slowly but steadily connect to you with little or no effort on your part, and once you get a large enough network, it might yield some work. The value of non-local connections is questionable to me, and you may get requests from all over the planet, but it's not like Facebook, it takes zero maintenance.

I stayed away because I'd basically be announcing that I don't have a college education.

Oops.[:-graduat

We're graduates of the school of hard knocks, along with Henry Ford, Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, John D. Rockefeller, etc., etc., etc., I think the last statistic I heard regarding millionares is that 78% of them don't have a college education.

"Education: That which reveals to the wise and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.... Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned." ~Mark Twain. [:-graduat

I have gotten some referral business off of it. I try to not link just to other home inspectors. I link with bank loan officers, a few real estate agents, some attorneys, a few insurance agents and some corporate relocation folks. It has payed off for me, but then it cost nothing to participate unless you go for their larger more advanced listing.

. . . It just seems like something every professional should be on.

Why?

Because networking is so important in our field, and especially if you want to change fields, which most of us have done and may do again. You just never know when you're going to need a big network. I can't say I've used LinkedIn, but I am glad I'm on it.

I have the impression that the most direct use of LinkedIn is for folks looking for corporate employment. The site monetizes itself by charging for second-level connections. It's a headhunter model. It is a way to post one's resume along with some recommendations. I don't see any value to it for my business, though I have played along.

Douglas Hansen