What's this?

gpdewitt

1933 conventional wood frame over slab 1 story house in Long Beach, CA.

Originally had knob and tube wiring. This is at the top of one gable end. Please ignore black wires, they are CATV.

I'm not sure if this is electrical or what. I found no evidence elsewhere of a lightning rod system. Because of the low slope roof, I was unable to see this area in the attic. Anyone seen one of these before, know what it's purpose is?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011612172254_IMGP0805_800_451.jpg

38.38 KB

Phones had wires on them, really?

I'm so old, I remember the phone we had from 1956 to the early 60's, oak box on the wall with a crank on the side. Our number was 2 digits and a letter, 70L. You would pick up the handset and turn the crank to ring an operator, then tell her the number you were calling.

Geez...I'm among a buncha old farts. [;)]

Marc

Marc,

Do you remember the first TTY relays? My uncle's was the size of a small microwave oven.

Small microwave? My first one was 30" x 30" and weighed abt 100lbs! $1300

I lived on Beaver Island for a long time and we had party lines until mid 90's. Never even saw a dial phone until 1960.

Geez...I'm among a buncha old farts. [;)]

Marc

Marc,

Do you remember the first TTY relays? My uncle's was the size of a small microwave oven.

Yes indeed. They were provided for deaf students at the college I went to when I first started in 80'. Les is right. They looked like big typewriters. Very heavy. They actually worked better and were more reliable than some of the fancy electronic TTYs that came later.

'Relay' is the name of the service by hearing folks who help the deaf complete phone calls to hearing people. 'TTY' (teletypewriter) is the name of the device.

I haven't use either for many years.

Marc

This olde phart can remember: one phone,no dial-on a table in the hallway between floors. Two families shared. Maybe got one call per day.

No TV. One big fancy radio in the parlor per floor.

Shoveling coal from the chute/bin to the massive steam boiler.

I'm not sure "those were the good old days"!

Occasionally I find a grey Bell Telephone transformer plugged into a wall outlet. My client asks me what it is used for and I explain that they used to need an electrical connection to provide power for the light-up dials in the old phones.

It makes me wonder how much electricity is wasted in our country by unused transformers that have never been disconnected?

Occasionally I find a grey Bell Telephone transformer plugged into a wall. My client asks me what it is used for and I explain that they used to need an electrical connection to provide power for the light-up dials in the old phones.

It makes me wonder how much electricity is wasted in our country by unused transformers that have never been disconnected?

Not much. The volt-amperes are small but because a transformer with an open secondary is mostly an inductive load the wattage is likely negligible. About the only power consumed is the hysteresis losses in the magnetic core which warms the transformer slightly.

Marc

Occasionally I find a grey Bell Telephone transformer plugged into a wall. My client asks me what it is used for and I explain that they used to need an electrical connection to provide power for the light-up dials in the old phones.

Not much. The volt-amperes are small but because a transformer with an open secondary is mostly an inductive load the wattage is likely negligible. About the only power consumed is the hysteresis losses in the magnetic core which warms the transformer slightly.

Marc

huh? Marc, you make me nuts!

It's a small token of sweet revenge...because for the first several months as a forum member everybody else was driving ME nuts. [;)] They still do...a little.

Marc

Marc, I would normally offer up some sort of pithy comment in response to what you said, but since you NEVER seem to understand my sense of humor . . .