Third Hand Smoke

Easy. Take a swab, or any other collection means, and measure it for the material that has several million pages of credible research performed over the last 40 years indicating known connections between multiple bad health effects.

Or, believe the tobacco companies.

• 1 month later...

Hi, first post here, nice forum. I had to jump in here, this is a pet peeve of mine. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't buy the research on second hand smoke, much less third. I think it's a politically motivated agenda. And yes, I'm a smoker. Just about everyone in my immediate family are former chain smokers who are now smoke nazis. [Link deleted]

Bob

Bobby I'm in your camp on this.

It's just flat out impossible to single out any one element and point a finger at it. Given the number of things a human is exposed to during their life span, how could you possibly narrow it down to a single culprit.

Like anything else, it's driven by money.

On the other hand, since most of our mothers smoked while pregnant and most of our parents and their parents exposed us to second hand smoke daily, maybe it has affected things like common sense, good judgement, respect for others, and the ability to avoid being sucked in with the rest of the sheep when someone dreams this shit up.

Is the stuff on your clothes or the walls any more likely to cause a problem than the lead paint below it?

Here's my favorite. There's a supermodified track here with a roof over the front grandstands. They burn nitro methane, brake dust and rubber to where your eyes can get irritated by the end of the night. There's no smoking in the stands. You have to go down near where they serve the food. Same goes for the tractor pulls and other events at the state fair. LOL!

I need to stop now. Im sure someone's going to point out stacks of studies done by the same folks who brought you toxic mold and why we can't eat eggs or fried hamburgers anymore.

The transfer of contaminants from one person to another (first hand and second hand exposure) and then on to yet another (third hand, etc.) is very easily understood. The concept that there's a difference between secondary and tertiary exposure is quite a bit less so, and when we attach the emotional baggage that goes along with addiction, well them's fightin' words!

My wife has two part time jobs; one where only one of her coworkers smoke, and another where everyone smokes but her. I can tell which place she worked at on any given day from 10 yards away, the smell of tobacco smoke is that pervasive, and since I quit around 15 months ago, quite offensive.

As an experiment that even a smoker can smell, go spend about an hour in a dairy barn then drive home. Your clothes (second hand exposure) will smell like manure for at least the rest of the day, and your car (third hand) for at least a couple of days. When the smell of shit sticks with you for days, so too does the stuff shit is made from.

When the smell of shit sticks with you for days, so too does the stuff shit is made from.

This sounds more like a personal hygene problem. If you're wearing the same clothes for days after being exposed to anything that leaves that bad of a smell, I'm going to have to question your habits and the affect it might have on my health.[;)]

Remember the last time you stood next to someone who was wearing a little less than a gallon of their favorite cologne? What should we do about that?

Really not necessary to carry this on further....But how about when you go out on the inspection and before you get to the bathrooms, somebody, earlier visited that room for business, realized what they did and grab a can of smelly stuff and spray it so thick, even 15 minutes later it is almost impossible to breathe. Can't beat those cans of fruity smelly stuff.

Amen, gtblum. Just by coincidence, I used to work on a dairy farm in New Hampshire back in the stone age. I didn't know it but I smelled like manure everywhere I went, I was so used to it I didn't even notice. And since most of my family are ex smokers, I realize how sensitive they are to the odor now, and I do try to be considerate. However, we're talking about a SMELL, not something that is harmful to one's health. The smell of BS never hurt anyone, and neither did the smell of cigarettes. It's the research that says 2nd and 3rd hand smoke is harmful that I don't trust. sorry, they've lied to many times.

BTW, it occurs to me that being a newbie, maybe I shouldn't come in here being all opinionated and such. My apologies.

That doesn't bother me - many here are opinionated.

What does bother me is folks signing up, posting some things that appear to be relevant to a discussion, then editing all those posts to include a keyword link. We're inspectors Bobby - we notice stuff. See ya filter boy.

Well, that's good of you to say.

Smokers will deny all established science related to the nasty habit; that's just the way it is.

It's a shame. It shows how addictive and dangerous the stuff is.

It's not really about about denial. It's more about smokers being the whipping boy for all that is wrong with the world and the idea that eliminating cigarettes will solve it all.

Problem is, nobody really wants anyone to stop smoking. There's just too much money involved.

Last year NY State added another $4.00 tax to the price of a pack of cigarettes. They said it would generate (I think the number was) another $450 Million in revenue. Other than a smoker's hot line, and a bunch of stupid commercials, there isn't one dime spent on any program to help people who want to quit. Not one dime. Why would they want to kill this little cash cow? Smokers are an easy mark. I don't think anyone who smokes, believes they're good for you.

ummmmmmm........I have nothing more to say. You've managed to perfectly articulate my position better than I ever could.

Tangentially, but perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Thank you.

Until they can prove anyone has ever died from exposure to second hand smoke. I'm not drinking the koolaid.

I honestly thought you'd have something better than an attempted insult. I'm a little dissapointed.

ummmmmmm........I have nothing more to say. You've managed to perfectly articulate my position better than I ever could.

Tangentially, but perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Thank you.

Until they can prove anyone has ever died from exposure to second hand smoke. I'm not drinking the koolaid.

I honestly thought you'd have something better than an attempted insult. I'm a little dissapointed.

I don't need to die from second hand smoke before I've a problem with it.

Marc

That's more like it. Good one.

Is anyone denying that smokers fill the air around them with carcinogens?

No. Of course not. Every time they start a car too.

This is completely my fault for not being able to get my point across.

It's all about the money. It's all about the easiest target.

Shortly after the state raised the tax on cigarrettes, they started to talk about taxing soda because of it's contribution to the obesity rate and heart disease.

People put a stop to that, real quick. Imagine that.

If everyone in this state quits smoking today, do you think they won't find a way to keep that $450 million coming in?

Sorry fat boy. That'll be ten bucks for that cheeseburger.

I'm not opposed to the soda tax or the cigarette tax or the too much trans fat tax as long as the revenues go toward the medical expenses that stupid people impose on themselves.

I am sick and tired of subsidizing those who choose to pollute themselves. Free will is one thing; making me pay for it is another.