Mold Reports

Most of the testing methods I've been made aware of are full of confusing information and results, but I believe the testing is based on spore counts outside the building vs inside and the type of mold present.

A real baseline would be how an individual is affected by the mold. It could make you miserable while at the same time I remain unaffected.

Crap! I had a multi paragraph response complete with Walter Jowers references and it just disappeared into the ether.

Mold report, the several hundred I have read, are worthless. A second grader could do more better!

I have a very difficult time respecting those inspectors that "test". Have they even read one of those reports?

edit: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ether

Les, my short responses get typed here but if'n I'm a gonna do a longer one, I do it in word processing and copy and paste it here.

Lost to many of those long ones due to some freak of the internet.

I used to think it was Mike O, then I realized only Kurt and Katen had that skill set!!

A good part of their presentation is providing case studies of recent projects in which they've been involved--mostly single and multi-family projects.

Their solutions involve stuff we talk about here all the time dealing with solving building moisture problems, especially in attics.

They're anti-testing unless it's required by some insurance company or the like. They are hell-bent on finding the cause of the problem, not treating the symptom. They don't up-sell services or products.

Their principle (James) presents very well and seems very well-versed in the current state of mold stuff--more so than me. Their #1 field guy, (I forget his name) always present with James--he's the hands-on dude in the field. He's also very intelligent and speaks the jargon that makes sense.

The two times I've attended their stuff, I was skeptical and ready to busy my mind with other more important things; however, they kept me in there and taught me a few things.

They're not scheisters. . . at least I don't get that feeling.

OK, remediation companies that clean stuff up are just trying to make a buck....if folks want to pay for it, fine.

What I was talking about are the reports. They're nuts. Completely, totally, stupidly nuts.

And folks think it all means something. I was just asking if there was anyone that has ever found any way to interpret the blather in any intelligent way.

OK, remediation companies that clean stuff up are just trying to make a buck....if folks want to pay for it, fine.

What I was talking about are the reports. They're nuts. Completely, totally, stupidly nuts.

And folks think it all means something. I was just asking if there was anyone that has ever found any way to interpret the blather in any intelligent way.

I understand. . .that's what I was getting at the first time.

If anyone has seen those reports, I would think it'd be the guys at Environix.

Not pitching them. . .just an idea. They're smart.

I understand. . .that's what I was getting at the first time.

If anyone has seen those reports, I would think it'd be the guys at Environix.

Not pitching them. . .just an idea. They're smart.

I suspect that the Environix guys would have the same reaction as Kurt does. They went through the learning curve of doing hundreds of mold tests and came to the conclusion that they were useless.

I was at the same WW ASHI Seminar that Randy attended last weekend and I really liked the Environix guys too. You've gotta like guys who show up to an event like that wearing jeans, tee shirts, & baseball caps. (Oh yeah, & the guy with dreadlocks . . . ) Then they blow everyone out of the water with complete command of the subject matter. These guys really know mold and they approach it with common sense.

They're the first people I've met in that business that I didn't think were shysters.

Outside of looking at it as a building science issue,

That's all I know how to do.

. . . what else is there to know about mold?

Nothing. At least for me.

Do the Environix fellows have something going on other than being competent contractors?;

Sure. Credibility and knowledge. I guess those things are what makes someone "competent." One could also add honesty and experience.

Sounds like you're on a hunt to find something more heady.

Take Camhoin (sp?) to lunch.

No, nothing heady......please.

I've just had a rash of mold reports being presented to me on a number of jobs I've managing with an expectation that I'm able to decipher what no one, including the morons doing the testing, are able to decipher.

I go through the usual "it's useless" spiel. Folks stare blankly.

I'm just checking to make sure what I tell folks is accurate.

What's amazing is, every last one of these reports has exterior counts higher than interior counts, yet people are blaming IAQ for a range of perceived health issues.

Kurt - would you be able to post a copy of one or two of those reports. I can't say I've ever seen one. Or would you mind e-mailing me one to look at?

p.s I met Manoj and his family this morning - thanks.

Cool.....they're really nice folks. Great customers. Bukiqe......

I don't have any of them in the office; I refuse to handle them more than I have to.

They're several pages of tables showing counts for several dozen mold types. Some of them have an addendum talking about specific molds being associated with specific health effects.

It's pages of information indicating nothing that I can surmise, other than there's more mold outside than inside every one of the joints we're rebuilding.