My Daughter Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

Thank Beth on my behalf for her service. When she hits the shore, please let us know her military address so that we can send her some care packages with some goodies.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

For any of those that are interested:

LT. Beth Matteson

NATO Role 3, MMU

APO AE 09355

From a recent email.

Hi Dad,

Unfortunately yes email from now on. I'm now in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan and should be moving on to Afghanistan in a day or two. We had a layover in Shannon, Ireland which was cool except we couldn't leave the airport and we were not allowed to drink alcohol. I picked up some shot glasses that were made there for souvenir. I am extremely tired and the plane ride was very cramped, making it hard to sleep. But on the bright side the plane ride itself was not bad at all. Hardly any turbulence.

I had a few Americans and an English woman ask me where I was headed to and where I was from. We were still in uniform and our group was about 200 people, we were definitely stared at :)

If you guys do plan on flying to Ireland I highly recommend seeing how much leg room you have in the cabin. It was a long 8 plus hour ride and you get creative on how to contort your body to sleep.

As soon as I move on I will drop you guys another email.

Love you - Beth

On a side note she did qualify Navy Sharpshooter with the 9 mil.

• 3 weeks later...

From Beth:

Hi Dad,

I'm doing well out here. We are in a heightened alert status but things haven't varied much from my daily routine. It's a good thing I'm on KAF (Kandahar Air Field) as others aren't so lucky off the base and are in more remote areas in Afghanistan. I can't go into more detail other than I am okay. We are always maintaining hypervigilance and I don't stray too much from the barracks, the dining facility, or work. I lucked out as the gym is the building right in front of our barracks. Both where I work and sleep are hardened structures that act as shelters when there are rocket attacks periodically.

I am taking pictures and will send some out soon. I haven't really had much time to myself as work has kept me extremely busy. Love you guys and will send pictures soon.

Start an album, Terry.

My mother saved every letter and scrap of news about ODS and kept it in an album that she gave me when I got home. I found it in the closet a while back and cracked it open. t's interesting some of the stuff we write about and what we're concerned about when we're in those situations. It keeps one's life in perspective.

I'm curious, what's her team's motto.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Start an album, Terry.

My mother saved every letter and scrap of news about ODS and kept it in an album that she gave me when I got home. I found it in the closet a while back and cracked it open. t's interesting some of the stuff we write about and what we're concerned about when we're in those situations. It keeps one's life in perspective.

I'm curious, what's her team's motto.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I will start album Mike - to tell the truth I hadn't thought about it but should have.

I have no idea what her teams motto is (didn't know they had one). I will send an email asking her.