Engineered repair?

Wasden

Sorry I don't have the photo but I sketched this. While starting my inspection I noticed a drooping roof plane. The seller made it difficult for me to get to the hatch to the attic. I'm glad I took the time to check it out. It looked like the three rafters were cracked and this angle iron bracket with a strut welded at 90 degree with cables attached to put upward pressure on the rafter. Anyone see anything like it before? Thanks, Steve

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013312212240_image.jpg

31 KB

Sorry I don't have the photo but I sketched this. While starting my inspection I noticed a drooping roof plane. The seller made it difficult for me to get to the hatch to the attic. I'm glad I took the time to check it out. It looked like the three rafters were cracked and this angle iron bracket with a strut welded at 90 degree with cables attached to put upward pressure on the rafter. Anyone see anything like it before? Thanks, Steve

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013312212240_image.jpg

31?KB

I've seen it done several times to support sagging beams in accessory structures, never in a house and never on a rafter. As long as the cable connection points are solid, it'll work just fine. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through when you could just sister a new rafter next to the old.

It is not a typical engineered rafter repair, so I would be inclined to call for some paperwork signed by the 'engineer'.

When he can't produce this paper, we can get a real engineer to draw up a proper repair, or simply get an experienced builder to sister the rafters.

With a slight bit of movement, that cable can just pop off the brace and become useless. I'll search for the pics.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201331313958_cablebrace1.jpg

30.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201331314023_cablebrace2.jpg

46.3 KB

One cable had popped off. A couple of years later, I returned to inspect another unit and found that the management had repaired this. It may been nudged by a truck.