Barry Stone on Clients Attending the Inspection

hausdok

Some inspectors prefer to work alone without the client attending; other inspectors prefer to have the client on site. It's a controversial topic among home inspectors.

Someone recently asked home inspection pundit Barry Stone to voice his opinion on the subject. To read his response, click here.

A client who sees his inspector in action is a client who knows what kind of effort he is getting for his money. I'd be great it I could do inspections with no one around but it defeats the intent of presenting information to the client. I also don't see the rational of an inspector being in an occupied home without an agent present - a liability issue that goes right off the scale.

It's a controversial topic among home inspectors.

Nah, we can argue about it all day but in the end each inspector does it his way.

I'm so used to having them looking over my shoulder, conversing with them, explaining things, etc, that I feel kinda lonely and lost if they're not there!

For me, the ideal situation is to have the client at the inspection but doing their own thing. I like them to see how hard I'm working for them and I try interact with them. When I find something wrong it's nice to show it to them and give them a nice verbal explanation so there are no surprises in the written report. I diffidently do like people looking over my shoulder for three hours.

I want my clients there. I've had clients follow me onto the roof and into the crawl. It's their house, they should know what their getting themselves into.

Eric, I'd be far more concerned about safety than liability crawling around a house by myself. Who is going to call 911 when I pass out in an attic, get stuck in a crawl, or fall off a ladder if I am the only one there?

I strongly encourage my customers to attend the inspection. If they get to the poiont of bugging me, which is extremely rare, I ask them to make a little space so I can do the job. They get it.

Having customers at the site is the best form of insurance; they see what you do.

I've never heard of a home inspector telling his customers not to attend the inspection at all. That's nuts.

I don't necessarily tell them not to attend, but let them know that I am able to focus much better on the job at hand without distractions. I let them know that they are welcome to attend as much of the inspection as they wish, but that there isn't a need to do so. I spend as much time with them at the walk through stage as they wish, and haven't heard any complaints about my process.

Many of the Realtor's that still refer me seem to like this approach, since they don't have to sit around the house for hours. Others still prefer to hang out and watch me work. I'm still waiting for my first complaint/ request for a refund since I've been self employed.

I've never heard of a home inspector telling his customers not to attend the inspection at all. That's nuts.

I don't necessarily tell them not to attend, but let them know that I am able to focus much better on the job at hand without distractions. I let them know that they are welcome to attend as much of the inspection as they wish, but that there isn't a need to do so. I spend as much time with them at the walk through stage as they wish, and haven't heard any complaints about my process.

Many of the Realtor's that still refer me seem to like this approach, since they don't have to sit around the house for hours. Others still prefer to hang out and watch me work. I'm still waiting for my first complaint/ request for a refund since I've been self employed.

I do exactly the same as you. My comment was directed at the "at all" part.

My inspections are divided into two parts, the looking part and the talking part.

I'm silent for the first 3-4 hours. I only speak when I get to the talking part.

If a customer can't attend, I can deal with that. But the notion of an inspector telling customers that they cannot attend at all is just nuts.

I would never do an inspection where I was the only person in the house. I've got a number of crazy experiences that would have bankrupted me but for the witnesses to indicate "it wasn't my fault".

Most memorable was a couple million dollar house in Lakeview. We're (customer, realtors, me) standing around the DR table talking, and without any apparent reason, a light bulb popped, sending white hot shards down on the table. Within seconds, the table was in flames, with flames licking at the curtains.

I sprinted to my car, got a fire extinguisher, came back, found the table burning, chairs starting to engage, curtains burning. I blasted the whole place, put the fire out, called the FD, etc.

The place was blown, a freakshow mess. The table was probably a $15,000 type, sidechairs probably a grand or more apiece. Damage to the curtains and room had to go into the thousands.

Thank GOD, the realtor was one of those that insisted turning on all the lights....you know the type. So, I could even dodge having turned the light on. I got to walk away the hero instead of the goat.

Can you imagine trying to explain that if you were the only person in the house?

"Honest, it just popped. I didn't do anything."

Uh huh......Id've burned bad on that one.

Nope. The deal went through fine, seller's insurance handled everything. I still get good referrals from those folks.

I never understood the "I don't talk until after several hours" approach. I mean, it's fine if that's how one works, but I never got it.

I never find customers distracting. Realtors are distracting. Sellers are distracting. Customers are customers. I can play walk and talk if that's what they're expecting.

Although, I do enjoy the jobs where they show up only for the last hour.

Residential clients need to be there and on time. I ain't going through twice.

65% of commercial clients send someone over to drop off a check and the signed agreement. They don't want anything verbal. Most of the rest send their facilities manager from their current building to go through with me.

Residential clients need to be there and on time. I ain't going through twice.

Yeah, exactly. I think it's easier just going through once. If I'm going back over my own tracks at any point, I'm wasting time and money.

I disagree. I do either with or without, but prefer 2 1/2 hours on my own in the house to get the information and the tough access areas done. Then I do a hour where I can give the clients my undivided attention. We walk around the outside then visit all the interior rooms. I answer all the questions and get paid.

When the clients come early, I find the inspection takes longer. I allow it, but I do a better job when I have no questions and no interruptions for the meat and potatoes part.

I can't tell you how many times I've found defects during my walk and talk that I missed during my initial inspection. Never anything major, but a second go 'round at the end never hurts.

Unfortunately, if you were to go around a third time, you'd find more stuff and, even more with a fourth time. It's why I gave up proofreading my reports before sending them out - every time I did it, I'd find more errors.