Fan Control

allseason

Installed in a 2005 Nordyne furnace in the blower compartment. Capacitor looks like a manufacture date of 2010. Was it installed here as a replacement? Does not look like factory install due to the zip tie. My primary concern is the exposed connections to 120V.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141014212553_20%20%20088.jpg

53.01 KB

It's a small charge, bleeds off to internal leakage in less than a minute. If you're unfortunate enough to be shocked by it, it would likely do no more than take the smile off your face and perhaps send you to the bathroom.

Marc

Isn't that called education?

Those with first hand experience should teach. [:-paperba

Marc

There should be a safety switch on the blower compartment cover. When you remove the cover, power to the system should be cutoff. If so, there would not be risk of shock.

The capacitor stores a charge of 370v normally until its discharged.Fan motor caps are normally oblong,not round.

I always wrap the end of cap with tape to isolate the terminals.

There should be a safety switch on the blower compartment cover. When you remove the cover, power to the system should be cutoff. If so, there would not be risk of shock.

The capacitor stores a charge of 370v normally until its discharged.Fan motor caps are normally oblong,not round.

'No' on both counts. The unit of charge is Coulomb. 370 volts is a common voltage rating for capacitors used in AC systems.

Marc

'No' on both counts. The unit of charge is Coulomb. 370 volts is a common voltage rating for capacitors used in AC systems.

Marc

370v is normal for furnace blower motor caps and condensing unit caps,some are actually 440v.

they are rated by micro farads. that's where the 5/370-10/370 which is common on furnace blowers comes in to play.

Condensing units used to separate capacitors back in the day,for example a 5/370 for fan motor and a 30/370 for compressor.

Now they use a combination cap like a 5/30/370.

And capacitors used to be called condensors as in "points and condensor".

That reminds me of a time the '52 Chev truck I was riding in died on the way to a job I had to get to. No spark. Hitched a ride to nearby hick town, found an old beater sedan in a guy's back yard, pulled a 'condensor' out of the distributor, hitched a ride back, put it in, off we went. [:)]

And capacitors used to be called condensors as in "points and condensor".

That reminds me of a time the '52 Chev truck I was riding in died on the way to a job I had to get to. No spark. Hitched a ride to nearby hick town, found an old beater sedan in a guy's back yard, pulled a 'condensor' out of the distributor, hitched a ride back, put it in, off we went. [:)]

The good old days when you could tune a car up with a match book cover and the wifes finger nail file![:-thumbu]