square footage

I inspected a small condo today, about 800 square feet.  Now my client is upset that I didn't measure the size of the unit and give her the square footage.  She doesn't seem to think that she can adequately gauge the cost of the condo without knowing the square footage.  

This seems like a job for (if anybody) an appraiser.  But her agent seems to agree with her that I should have done it.  Her father is also claiming that when he's bought property the inspector measured the square footage.  I've never heard of anything like this and I think it's ridiculous.  

Am I missing something here?  Is it a common thing for home inspectors to measure the size of a property?  Does anybody actually do this?  Are they just confusing my role with that of the appraiser? 

Thanks

Steve Nations

• 1 month later...

I never measure, but on my report's title page I list the approximate size and quote the source, whether it's the listing MLS, county records, or Zillow - Redfin, etc. Any, or all of those, can be in error. I thereby sidestep any liability for its exactitude.