In Today's NYT

kurt

March 6, 2008, 3:44 pm

Is There a Killer Stove in Your Kitchen?

By The Editorial Board

For about a year now, consumer groups have been waging a war against killer stoves.

It sounds like a bad horror movie, but it’s for real. Consumer advocates estimate that there have been at least 33 deaths and 84 serious injuries in recent years from stoves that suddenly tip over and burn or kill someone underneath.

Most of the victims have been children scalded by whatever is bubbling on top of the stove, or elderly people trying to get something in or out of the oven.

The stove grandma used probably couldn’t be moved or tilted without using a small forklift. Newer stoves, however, are different. Many are so light that when their door is opened and weight is applied — by, for example, resting a pot on that open door for a moment — the entire appliance turns into a see-saw, spilling hot food and liquids on cooks and onlookers. Worse, some stoves have been known to tilt and then fall over completely.

The solution is simple. An anti-tip bracket should be installed with every stove to keep it steady and upright while in use.

In a recent settlement of a class-action lawsuit, Sears agreed to install the necessary brackets on about four million free-standing or slide-in stoves that were sold, delivered, and connected by the store between July 2, 2000 and September 18, 2007. The company also agreed to install anti-tip brackets on all free-standing stoves delivered over the next three years.

The settlement is good news for Sears customers, but what about people who buy their stoves somewhere else?

So far, the Consumer Product Safety Commission hasn’t done a thing for them. Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen last month petitioned Nancy Nord, the acting chair of the commission, to begin recall proceedings against stoves sold by retailers other than Sears.

Discussions are still underway. Unfortunately, in recent years, the commission has been know for its close ties to industry, and its reluctance to stand up for consumer safety. Ms. Nord has been criticized for traveling on industry’s dime — and then failing to rein in industry.

This is not the first time the commission has been asked to fix these stoves. The first accidents started happening almost twenty years ago. After the Sears settlement, the commission did act on stoves — sort of, as Ed Mierzwinski of U.S. PIRG points out. The commission announced a voluntary recall of a toy stove after a child reported being bruised when it tipped over.

Toy stoves bruising children are bad, certainly, and should be stopped. But what about real stoves scalding and killing people?

Originally posted by kurt

March 6, 2008, 3:44 pm

Is There a Killer Stove in Your Kitchen?

By The Editorial Board

For about a year now, consumer groups have been waging a war against killer stoves.

It sounds like a bad horror movie, but it’s for real. Consumer advocates estimate that there have been at least 33 deaths and 84 serious injuries in recent years from stoves that suddenly tip over and burn or kill someone underneath.

So far, the Consumer Product Safety Commission hasn’t done a thing for them.

It's a sad day when Ward Cleaver needs the CPSC to force someone to install an anti-tip bracket on his stove for him. Good Grief! Ward's a handy guy, he can go to the appliance store, buy a $5 bracket and install it himself without having to consult with a lawyer or government official.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I agree completely, but the Ward's in my area honestly couldn't install a stinkin' anti-tip bracket. They don't even have a screwdriver, let alone know which end to hang on to.

I've had "professionals" that aren't exactly sure how to adjust the temperature on the hot water heater even after I show them how. It's amazing how completely incompetent most folks are nowadays w/basic survival stuff.

I put this up because I've always been cavalier about the anti-tip thing. I've reported it about 3 times in my entire career. I don't have on one my own stove.

I just never thought about the very light weight of the new stoves being a factor, which of course it is. I'm going to start writing them.

We have written several hundred, just normal thing to check for us. We no longer even turn the range on, just identify type of energy and maybe turn on a burner.

I participated in a cause of action* couple of years ago and it caused me to read the installation manuals of several brands. They all instruct to install brackets. Some installations are difficult because of cabinet configuration and or floor covering. Likely everyone on this board could install in minutes, but the average homeowner could not.

*Readers Digest version: Bon-Bons in cabinet above range, 300+lb person hungry, open range door, step on door, fall, sue, buy new house with proceeds, I inspect it, life is good! BTW, I was on the defendant side as an expert.

This small bracket gets too little attention IMO. More risk than double-lugged neutrals - but I digress. Ward needs to grow up for the sake of his kids! (I know Kurt's right about many of them.)

Habitat homes include new appliances. We always install the anti-tips.

When inspecting the wall-mounted brackets, I always wondered whether the screws went past the drywall and into a stud. Tugged on several.

I can see the wisdom of the bracket when it comes to protecting little curtain-climbers from themselves. They don't have the sense to know any better. But for cryin' out loud, if an adult (much less a 300 pound one) is sufficiently lacking in brain power to the point that standing on their oven door sounds like a good idea, I say he or she should live with the consequences...and hopefully learn from them! Even if the oven didn't tip over, the door would snap off and they'd likely break an ankle. So if there is an anti-tip bracket installed that functions properly and the door breaks, do you sue the manufacturer for not reinforcing the door?

How about you sue the candy manufacturer for producing an attractive nuisance which "forced" you to stand on the oven door in order to obtain it?

I dunno,

I keep trying, but so far I haven't been able to screw myself up enough to make it worthwhile for me to hire a lawyer and sue anyone so that I can ensure I'll have enough to live on through retirement. Time's getting short; I have to do something within the next 10 or 15 years.

Has anyone got any suggestions? [;)]

Seriously though, I've been writing up missing anti-tip brackets since the first month I got into this business nearly 12 years ago and discovered that they existed. For me, it it's part of the equipment and obviously should have been installed, I write it up and I really don't care if it's a $2 item or a $2000 item.

FWIW, a couple of eye bolts - one on the back of a stove and the other screwed into a stud through the drywall - with a piece of steel sash chain between them makes an excellent anti-tip device for stoves prior to 1992-94 when these things first began showing up in installation kits.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by kurt

I put this up because I've always been cavalier about the anti-tip thing. I've reported it about 3 times in my entire career. I don't have on one my own stove.

I just never thought about the very light weight of the new stoves being a factor, which of course it is. I'm going to start writing them.

I'm right in that boat with you. It gets written up from here on.

Brian G.

For the Kids, Not the Morons [:-propell [:-dunce]

I use this:

========

There is no anti-tip device installed to keep the stove from tipping over when children climb on, or weight is placed on, the oven door. I recommend that one be installed for safety. See the warning label on the oven door. While this is an important safety issue (see http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Stove_T ... 040507.pdf ), it is simply fixed by installing the anti-tip device. They typically only cost a few dollars at a local hardware or appliance store, or may still be present with the owner's manual of this stove.