Flue question

jodil

I'm pretty sure aluminum dryer venting isnt a proper material for flue venting for a gas furnace, yes? Its sad that this NEW furnace was inspected as is and approved by the local guy 6 months ago.

Also, is it required that a gas furnaces has a shut off switch? This one didnt, and I have never seen one that doesnt have at least a fuse near by.

Thanks

Image Insert:

20085301070_IMG_1372.jpg

49.49 KB

Neal & Jodi,

Many contractors use aluminum due to its lower cost. Reputable contractors will use stainless due to longevity and best practice - which is often (usually) more money. The acids in combustion gas will eat through aluminum in about 10 years.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Originally posted by Eric B

Reputable contractors will use stainless due to longevity and best practice.... The acids in combustion gas will eat through aluminum in about 10 years.

Do you have a source to back that statement?

Bill,

If you're looking for a code reference I don't have one off hand. But searching online will yield info from industry (Alcoa) and trades (CSIA).

Is there a flat out rejection of aluminum liners - not that I know of. But when you start to look at best practice there's quite a bit of substantial information available.

Originally posted by Neal Lewis

Flexible chimney liners for gas appliances can be aluminum or stainless steel.

Around here, the heating companies install aluminum chimney liners while the chimney repair companies install the stainless steel. Both are approved for this type of installation but I agree that the stainless (less common to see around here) is a better option to go.

When looking at the chimney, there should be a metal cap installed with sheet metal covering the top of the flue. Working for a heating company many years ago, I installed many of the aluminum chimney liners.