Ever had this happen?

ramdino

I met my clients at the house. They were from Miami and had driven 20 hrs to see a house they had made an offer on over the Internet. So before I can open the door for them I start seeing things that even this guy knows looks sketchy. We talk about a deck that had a roof put over it that was not permitted and built wrong and few other things, they go inside. A/C had been ripped out. I got out side and start my exterior. After :30 minutes and 47 pics later they come out side and say forget it who do I make the check out to? They are done. Except for 5 minutes before they went inside I never even got to talk to them about my findings before they make up their mind. I walked them around showed them the stuff on the outside and gave them a discount since I never got dirty or even got my ladder off the truck. That was a first for me. Hated it for them but put them in touch with a better realtor for one thing.

I always start before my clients arrive, so I had a bunch of info and pictures when my client showed up and said "Is this a modular home? It looks like a doublewide mobile to me". I confirmed it was indeed a mobile home or more politely named a manufactured home. He thought he was buying a modular to be moved to his vacant lot.

He was choked and I gave him a reduction simply because I felt like it and would not be writing a report. 10 minutes later we were both heading home.

A few times a year I give a client the option to end the inspection early for a discounted fee based on what has been found in the first 10-15 minutes of the inspection. Some take me up on my offer, some don't but wish later they had.

Same here but I will stop whenever they have had enough, and give an appropriate discount.

I was doing an inspection for a seller one time and they aborted the inspection early. I found so much wrong with the site and exterior they didn't want to continue. They claimed their obligation to disclose was something they'd rather not have. I reduced the fee to a partial inspection and reported to the limit which I had inspected.

I didn't mind the break. I took the cash they paid me and took my wife out to dinner.

Had a situation similar to this last week. Had only gotten around 75% of the exterior when they said they had enough and were terminating the inspection and the purchase. I took my reduced fee and wrote them a short summary of what I had seen already. That short little summary helped them get their deposits returned and got me their next inspection.

Doesn't happen but once or twice every few years. With me, it depends. Usually, I I'll discount and just enjoy the time off. Some times, I take the full fee because my time was blocked out and I saved them from a troublesome property. In either case, there's usually another inspection down the road for that client.

Sounds like most of us are "it depends".

I can sorta understand giving a discount in this situation, but can you go elsewhere and make your living for the day? You blocked out the time for them...

As others have noted, I enjoy the time off and for me I don't need the fee to keep the lights on. Now if I really needed every inspection dollar to pay the bills, I might find it a little more difficult to be so generous. You'll be rewarded down the road by showing some compassion at the appropriate times.

When I get those, I truncate the report to the state minimums and add a note that the buyer made a decision to walk and end the inspection before it was finished. That's to cover my liabilities in case he changes his mind later and buys it without hiring me to finish the inspection/report.

I usually reduce the fee to cover my time.

I do this only if they request it. If they say they're gonna walk but don't ask to end the inspection, I finish it and charge what was quoted.

Marc

Depends on how long I'm into it and whether they need a written report.

If I'm less than 90 minutes into it and they come to me and say they have changed their minds, I ask them whether they will want a written report. If the answer is no I rip up the full home inspection contract and we execute a limited inspection contract and I charge my limited inspection fee.

If we've been there over 90 minutes and/or they want a written report I charge my regular fee but will cut them some slack on the next one, if I do another inspection for them.

Sometimes they call back for the second inspection and they are on some pretty ridiculously short timelines and I can't help them, in which case I refer them to another inspector I trust - some of those are on here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The last one I ended short I was 90 % finished with the main house, detached garage, sprinkler, and detached loft apartment. This was a "designer remodel" with several walls removed to create an open concept in a 1930's house. Severe sagging, etc. I offered to discount the $100 fee for the crawl space if I did not have to suite up and go in the 4 different crawl openings. I was glad to not have to do the crawl and they were glad to save the $100. I did their next house a few weeks later and they found a much better house. I think part of what we do is teach... at least I try. The learning experience is actually pretty cheap even with a full price inspection and it is gratifying to see that they can use even the "wasted" fee for their benefit as they look for their next place with a bit more knowledge.

I'm just glad that most of my inspections are on slabs with no crawling!

Not my favorite activity.