Report Writing Music

Hi All,

We've all got our own favorites when it comes to music and when I sit down to type a report I work best when the music I'm listening to is what I like the most.

For me, it's Celtic music and I just tune in on the net to Accu Radio's Celtic Channel at:

http://www.accuradio.com/musiclibrary/i ... nel=Celtic

If you're looking to get your groove on commercial free, check out Accu Radio's selections:

http://www.accuradio.com/musiclibrary/

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Check out Pandora:

www.pandora.com

They use a database called the Music Genome Project to make associations between songs. You create your own music channels by beginning with a song or artist and the database chooses music that's related to your choice. As you continue to give it feedback, it adjusts its choices. After a while, it becomes uncanny in that it plays music from people you never heard of but that you instantly like.

You can have several "channels" for different moods.

I've got 18 channels that I've been working on but for report writing I can't listen to anything with lyrics. My favorite report-writing channels are Stephane Grappelli, Bill Monroe, & Al Hirt.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Except for when I'm playing back voice notes, I nearly always have something playing though the computer. I have a 3 piece speaker system with the subwoofer under the desk. The sound is great. I use Radiotime.com for my internet radio 'tuner', but the majority of the time, instead of music, I listen to liberal talk radio. Depending on the time of day, it could be Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz, Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhoads or Mike Malloy.

When I want to hear music, I generally go through itunes. There I can hear RadioDead, Campfire Radio (lots of Alison Krauss), and 3WK Classic Underground Radio. You can also find dozens of old Bob & Ray radio shows, but the report tends to not get done when I start listening to Bob & Ray.

If I can go off topic slightly, ....... has anybody ever heard of Italian Guitarist Carlo Poddighe? The guy is freakin' amazing. He does covers of 60's and 70's American rock classics. Here he's doing an acoustic version of Hear My Train a Coming.

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Check out LA Woman, with his power trio: http://www.poddighe.com/live/index.php

Now back to your regularly scheduled program ......

I'm getting a headache just picturing you guys sitting around your PC's listening to folk, celtic, bluegrass, and every other god-forsaken kind of music out there. This has to be the most disturbing thread yet. You guys amuse, and scare me.

Unfortunately I'm usually in my office listening to music from 'my generation' so in 15 years I can be made fun of for listening to Nirvana, Everclear, Sheryl Crow, and Soundgarden while writing reports.

I'm getting a headache just picturing you guys sitting around your PC's listening to folk, celtic, bluegrass, and every other god-forsaken kind of music out there. This has to be the most disturbing thread yet. You guys amuse, and scare me.

Unfortunately I'm usually in my office listening to music from 'my generation' so in 15 years I can be made fun of for listening to Nirvana, Everclear, Sheryl Crow, and Soundgarden while writing reports.

I really liked Nirvana - it's hard to put into words the waste that became.

I also listen to STP and Pearl Jam as well. There was a tribute to the Who on (I think) PBS not to long ago and Eddie Vedder did an amazing job at "Love Reign Over Me". Still gives me goose bumps.

I can't listen or hear music when I have to think, and I usually have to think when I'm doing a report.

When I don't have to think, it's a mountain of eclectic crap. Stones, Tom Waits, Patti Smith, Patsy Cline, ELO, Tony Bennet, Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley, Allman Brothers, Neil Young, REO Speedwagon, Billy Idol, Lil' Wayne, The Cars, Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, Nirvanna, Beatles, Elton John, Deep Purple, Al Hirt, BB King, Kinks, Andy Griffith, Pink Floyd, Jim Nabors, Jim Reeves, etc, etc...

Today Gillian Welch, Tim Easton, Lucinda Williams, Alejandro Es coveda, and Kristi Starling are loaded in the player ....

Tomorrow it'll be five other artists who never get/got airplay in the over the air media ...

Love Gillian Welch. Lyrics seem to detract from my concentration when writing, though. I tend to listen to Segovia, John Williams or Michael Hedges when I just need background. Not familiar with Krisi Starling, but you have stirred my interest.

Tim