The Economy is Definitely Still in the Dumper

Hi All,

Been sitting here for the last hour watching the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Orange County, Ca.

You know that the economy is still in the crapper when you see cars going for half of what they would have brought five years ago. If anyone has a little tucked away and has a dream car in mind, if there was ever a time to pick up a classic car, this is the time because I doubt if we'll see these kinds of prices again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!!

Mike

I doubt that there are any home inspectors bidding on the cars at the auction. Most of us are worrying about having enough money to fill the gas tanks of the cars we already have!

You can include me. No car auctions or car buying anytime in my future. And a full gas tank, whats that? I never fill any of ours over half full, but then again, everything own has at least a 25 gallon tank on it. Although, gas is down to $3.31 now.

I doubt that there are any home inspectors bidding on the cars at the auction. Most of us are worrying about having enough money to fill the gas tanks of the cars we already have!

You can include me. No car auctions or car buying anytime in my future. And a full gas tank, whats that? I never fill any of ours over half full, but then again, everything own has at least a 25 gallon tank on it. Although, gas is down to $3.31 now.

That's a bargain. $3.95 here; I just poured $137.00 in my truck yesterday. It still beats walking 461 miles carrying a ladder and a tool bag.

I was driving to the Sox game a couple of weeks ago with some buddies, and I was so low on gas that I needed to pump a bit more in so we could make the round trip. But we were running a little late and I didn’t want to take the time for a complete refill.

I noticed a station ahead on my right and stated to my buddies “I’m going to stop and just put $5.00 inâ€

"$5 bucks worth" is one US gallon for us up here right now. That's enough if you're riding a scooter, I guess.

It's all the same gas, but we pay a heavy tax on fuel, and they say that keeps our economy out of the hole. So where's the incentive to buy a gas-guzzling muscle car at the auction? You'd go broke driving it home. [:)]

I like the idea of the '58 Vette parked right in the living room. That's the way to enjoy it.

Wow, no shit, it's not just the housing market???

Well, the housing market is basically the support structure for the economy in general. Add to the mess is political posturing creating all kinds of mis-information.

I think they've been prolonging the inevitable. They should have let it crash big time then we would be back on our way to recovery. They can't just keep printing money. Its a giant farce.

$3.69 by me.

I go on e bay all the time looking at Harleys and they are dirt cheap, and very often relisted more than once. If you have the money now's the time, if your're selling anything your f--d. If my son weren't starting college in August I'd be on my new Heritage Softail.

Of course Walmart gas isn't refined in China. I was joking, but the impact on our economy is no joke.

The reason they can sell gas cheap is because they make massive profits on the products from the Chinese sweat shops. My sister works for them. She says one way they make money is to simply not pay for the products right away. Often the product is shipped and sold before Walmart has even paid the factory.

The factory bosses can carry the load for one or two months, no problem. They've got the unlimited slave labor force and a steady flow of North American dollars coming in.

I buy my diesel in a small shrimp town adjacent to a bay that opens to the Gulf. About 10 to 20 cents cheaper than anywhere else, because they bring it in by the barge to supply the shrimp boats. Last tank was about $3.67/gallon.

Marc

Hi All,

Been sitting here for the last hour watching the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Orange County, Ca.

You know that the economy is still in the crapper when you see cars going for half of what they would have brought five years ago. If anyone has a little tucked away and has a dream car in mind, if there was ever a time to pick up a classic car, this is the time because I doubt if we'll see these kinds of prices again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!!

Mike

The VW bus that went for $198,000.00 has to make you wonder though!!

Hi All,

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!!

Mike

The VW bus that went for $198,000.00 has to make you wonder though!!
Yeah,

Wondering and shaking my head trying to figure it out. A '56 T-bird frame off restoration correct serial numbers and trim went for $28,000.

What the f***!!!

M.

Nah,

I was only 5 years old in '56 but I love 50's cars. My first car was a '55 Chevy - bought it for $5 in 1965 and drove it all over the hundred acre lot until I'd burned out both the clutch and the starter and rolled it at least once. It currently resides in a thicket just off of yellow city road in Amenia, NY.

My dream car - 1958 Packard Hawk; dream motorcycle - '36 to 51' Indian Chief. Last week, I was lusting after this Indian until I figured out that it's a composite. It's a '41 741 (Militarized Sport Scout) with a '38 Sport Scout engine that's being advertised as a '38. It's worth maybe half of what they're asking the way it is. With a correct engine, maybe 75%.

If anyone is interested in the bike below, the guy representing the seller is trying to run down documentation on the bike. It's allegedly been judged 80% original at a show, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot if the judges who examine it at the time don't know anything about Indians or don't have a way at the time they judge it to check serial numbers.

http://classiccars.com/listing-217308/1 ... -sale.html

When it comes to antique cars and bikes and the internet, I'm like my wife with handbag websites - I spend hours perusing them wistfully, knowing that I'm not going to be buying anything.

Hell, even if I had any money, my wife would kill me if I bought one. She won't own a car that's more than two years old at the time she buys it and she won't even consider getting on a motorcycle. Still, if I ever find a Packard Hawk for sale at a decent price - even a basket case - I'm liable to pawn her jewelry and take my chances.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike