lockbox access

In GA home inspection is not state licensed.

After booking an inspection for an out of state buyer, buyer called to say listing agent told him that "licensed inspectors in GA have lockbox something or other", that in fact such lockbox access is how you tell an inspector is licensed.

The assertion is not even close to truth. Seems the realtor had a fave inspector under the wing, but the buyer called me based on referral.

Can I suppose lockbox memebership or whatever is something you can subscribe too?

All the lockboxes I have dealt with just had a digital code you plug in. Big deal.

I have a supra key through GMLS. There is no such membership and of course no licensing.

I've always had my lock box key. When I obtained it 15 years ago I had to have a RE Broker to write a letter of approval. Since then I have just renewed it each year.

I had a friend over in Athens that was unable to get one due to the BOR rejecting anyone but RE agents. So I guess it could be a regional thing.

I bet I don't use mine twice a month lately because most houses do have the coded boxes.

All the lockboxes I have dealt with just had a digital code you plug in. Big deal.

I'm not clear on what you're describing. Is there an electronic keypad on the lockbox itself?

Can I suppose lockbox memebership or whatever is something you can subscribe too?

With all of the regional differences, inspectors in your area are probably best positioned to answer that. In my area, Supra keys are generally used. You don't need to be a member of the Realtor's association to get one. The cost is about $175. a year. I could not imagine operating without one.

For some reason, the old dial type combo lockboxes seem to be making a resurgence. It's no problem getting the combo for those from the listing office. It's a dirty little secret that some offices use the same combo for all of their boxes.

Supra lock box system (Part of G.E.) will generally be administered by the local realtor assn.

The key to the house is in the electronic lock box on the door just like a mechanical combo lock box. The key pad is a small electronic device about the size of a deck of cards that you carry with you and sync up with the head office one a week or so to remain active. No need to have one unless it is prevalent in your area but is nice to have if it is used in your area.

You don't need to be a member of the Realtor's association to get one. The cost is about $175. a year.

Where did you get yours? We had to join a board as an affiliate to get ours.
For some reason, the old dial type combo lockboxes seem to be making a resurgence.
Lotsa salesfolk couldn't afford the E-key renewals.

You don't need to be a member of the Realtor's association to get one. The cost is about $175. a year.

The Lehigh Valley Association of REALTORS. I picked up my first one at their office, February 2001. That was the first of two times that I've ever had any contact with them. The second time was about 5 years ago when I got a notice they were switching to Supra from the old black square boxes that you inserted into the lockbox. That change was done at a local hotel. I've never been an affiliate member and other than those two times, have never had any contact with the association. The annual bill comes directly from GE/Supra.

The Lehigh Valley Association of REALTORS. I picked up my first one at their office, February 2001. That was the first of two times that I've ever had any contact with them. The second time was about 5 years ago when I got a notice they were switching to Supra from the old black square boxes that you inserted into the lockbox. That change was done at a local hotel. I've never been an affiliate member and other than those two times, have never had any contact with the association. The annual bill comes directly from GE/Supra.

Joe - You are living good in that regard. In Texas we have to pay the affiliate RE association fees on an annual basis and then the quarterly SupraKey fees.

All checks go to the local RE association.

It's all about money and the continuing 'control' that the agents keep holding on to.

Here in Central WA, the listing agent usually wants the sellers agent to be at the inspection. They all have supra keys. I checked on getting one several years ago, however association said you had to be a realtor to get one.

Actually now I don't really want one because I want a realtor or someone else to open the home. It's the least they can do for the potential commission. Though a lot of realtors seem to be put out by having to open the home, and many leave early though they are really suppose to stay according to their association rules, lock up, check all windows, double check thermostat etc.

I just do my thing and lock up if necessary.

Here in Central WA, the listing agent usually wants the sellers agent to be at the inspection. They all have supra keys. I checked on getting one several years ago, however association said you had to be a realtor to get one.

Actually now I don't really want one because I want a realtor or someone else to open the home. It's the least they can do for the potential commission. Though a lot of realtors seem to be put out by having to open the home, and many leave early though they are really suppose to stay according to their association rules, lock up, check all windows, double check thermostat etc.

I just do my thing and lock up if necessary.

Not for anything all the 'responsibility' of that house being opened (unlocked by SupraKey) is on "their" code key access.

That is one of the headaches I have is that with "my" SupraKey opening/closing a house ... I'm responsible should someone want to get picky and start shooting darts.

In fact while at an inspection that I've opened up with my SupraKey and the agent shows up toward the end with the client and they want to spend additional time ... I close up the SupraKey and have the agent re-open/unlock the SupraKey with his/her card. They all understand that move in this community.

In Indy they are Sentrilock. I've always inconvenienced one of the two realtors involved to open them for me. I would have to be an affiliate member and pay quarterly for the card too.

What the realtors will do if they really really don't want to show, is program a one time "contractor code" to get me in but that's like pulling teeth since I'm not well known.

I rarely see realtors at the inspection and for that I'm thankful. When one is there, it generally slows things down a bit and causes unneeded distractions. I certainly wouldn't want to have to rely on an agent to open the house for me - especially if I was picking up or setting a radon monitor.

I do understand the responsibility issue. It is a huge potential liability, mainly because I can't keep my eye on everyone the buyer may bring to the inspection. It's a responsibility that I accept, but I try to reduce my exposure by attempting to limit the number of people buyers bring to the inspection. I do this by sending a (hopefully) tactful email to the buyers before the inspection. A second objective of limiting attendees is to reduce the chance of a chaotic free-for-all that turns the inspection into a zoo. That's happened only a handful of times.

So for $182.24 a year, I don't have to be dependent on a a realtor's schedule or punctuality and can have better control at the inspection. I think the cost/benefit ratio of my Supra Key is the best of any tool I own.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012116205743_Supra%20(Small).jpg

49.87 KB

Supra rules here, as well. The problem is I have to use an "affiliate's key," which won't function unless the selling agent provides a CBS (Call Before Showing) code.

Most agents have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask for the code, or they insist that there is no CBS code--meaning the code wasn't set to force realtors to use it so THEIR Supras will work.

It's time to renew. Affiliate membership is $300.00, and the key fee is $144.00. I still haven't decided if it's prudent to do so or not.

I've been a hold out. The Supra key is also used in my area but I've not subsidized the NAR. Like in other locations, the affiliate program is used here. All of my guys must become affiliate members, guess who pays, and then we are allowed to feed the machine $$.

Add to that, we have more that one community that my company serves. They are a bit nicer about the deal. I can pass one key amongst inspectors.

We have the SentriLock card key in my area. I was a holdout till last year and I must admit that my business increased when I got the key and let folks know I had it.

Yes, I had to join a local Realtor board as an associate. The associate membership cost me $250 a year and the card key cost $200 a year. The card key has been well worth the cost.

It makes it very nice for radon testing and really nice not having to wait on anyone to enter the home. I'm able to use the card key in about 10 counties in middle TN.

Hi,

I can't speak to central Washington state but I can tell you that out here on Puget Sound agents will be fined if their association catches them leaving an inspector on a properly alone. I know some guys who've joined the realtor's association to get access but I don't see the point in joining since they have to be in attendance anyway.

There is nothing in our state home inspection law that says an inspector can't be alone on site. When realtors ask me if I mind if they'd leave for a while, that's my standard response. I don't really care what their association rules are and I'd prefer not to have those who don't know me hanging around in the background trying to signal me with "the code" as I present findings to the client, 'cuz when I don't respond to their signals they get more and more aggressive and occasionally that causes me to do or say something that will make things....awkward.

They get a lot of money to sell a home. If they can't block out enough time to open a door for their client after spending days and weeks helping that client find that home, they don't belong in real estate and should go down to Mickey D's and sign up to flip burgers.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I would love to not have to pay the 'zoid' fees for the Affiliate Membership just to have the Supra ... problem is that very few (if any) of the local inspectors would join such a stand and force the 'zoids' to open the properties for the inspections (those that are Supra controlled). There are still far too many inspectors who are very tight with their 'zoid' feeders.

I also don't want to have to deal with "their" schedule. I schedule the inspections to fit my business hours and the agents don't tend to care about such in many/most cases.

Actually, I seldom see any of the agents involved in the properties I inspect.

Some are excellent (actually that could be more than "some"), but the few less than good ones really skew the curves.