Tool Belt or not Tool Belt; That is the Question

Chad Fabry

To the poster - your neighbors appear to be in good hands and thanks for watching out for them.

The guy is wearing everything but a table saw on his belt. I carry a hammer, a mini flat bar and some nails.

The table saw is worn up front. Too hard to make an accurate cut with it behind your back. [:)]

When the hammer on the belt starts feeling too heavy, it is time to hang up the belt for good (and become a home inspector? Not directed at anyone here, BTW)

Who wears a tool belt for inspections? I have a couple of clip-on pouchs I use. Just curious.

At a test inspection this year, one candidate wheeled a 3-tiered cart with drawers full of tools in the door, and he had a tool belt full of stuff as well. It made me feel somewhat .... inadequate? [:)]

At a test inspection this year, one candidate wheeled a 3-tiered cart with drawers full of tools in the door, and he had a tool belt full of stuff as well.

It should be amusing to watch the guy the first time he inspects a house with no alleyway access on a lot raised a couple of stories off the street with a three-switchback stair going up to the entry.

Stopped wearing a tool belt about a month after I got into this gig after I'd brushed up against and marred some interior finishes in new homes. It not only upset the builder but it upset the client as well. I have a Veto Propak tool bag that I bring in and place near the entrance. I get what I want from the bag when I need it and return it to the bag when I don't. No need to haul a bunch of crap around all day.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I carry a bag o tools that I usually drop in the kitchen, grab what I need and go. I wouldn't mind a holster for my flashlight, but the one I have fits pretty well in my back pocket. If I don't feel comfortable leaving my tools unattended my bag has a pop up handle and wheels so it can go with me pretty easily.

Is it just me, or does using a hammer as crack spackle seem a little uncomfortable?

mheu5k.jpg

I wear a tool pouch on my left hip that has one big pouch and several small ones all built together. I keep my outlet tester, camera, a screwdriver or two, temp probes, voltage tracer, and maybe a few other small items. It just makes it easier to have these frequently used small items right there. I recently attached the lanyard to my Olight and hang it around my neck. I know it sounds stupid, but now that I've tried it I really find it useful. Everything else stays in the van, and I go get it if I need it; except the power screwdriver which I carry in a leave on the kitchen counter top until I find the electric panel.

If it looks like I may need a lot of stuff I'll carry in my tool box, but not to often anymore.

The computer bag carries the tools you see plus a few documents and the laptop. It stays in the kitchen with the computer deployed nearby. I don't use all this stuff often. I mostly just like tools.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012117194020_001.jpg

54.49?KB

The click-on pouch carries this:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012117194054_002.jpg

38.02?KB

The camera stays in my shirt pocket.

Marc

I leave a small square tool bag in the kitchen. The moisture meter is the only expensive tool kept in the bag. The fenix and camera are on my belt. By back feels much better since I got all the tools off of my waist.

Like most the kitchen serves as a hub. Work a little and then type a little. I simply pick up tools as needed.

Table saws are incredibly dangerous and should never be put or used in your tool belt.

Very productive though. I framed houses on a 4-man team for 2 1/2 years and we all carried our own table saw on a forward belt clip. Just gotta watch it so it don't cut the rungs of the ladder you're climbing. Always kept an extra ladder around.

Marc

Duluth Trading.

Best pants ever

All their stuff is incredible.

I just bought a pair of those, but without the word "cargo" in the discreption. I figured I did not need the built in knee pads. They are absolutly great!

I haven't tried any of the fire hose gear yet but I have several pair of their ballroom jeans. I highly recommend them.

My voice recorder is indispensable on the job also, but it stays around my neck on a lanyard. One less thing to worry about falling out of my pocket when I bend over. Can't honestly say I use it off the job--that's what the one in the phone is for...

No voice recorder, Rob? I couldn't live without mine. And away from inspections, it's great for recording concerts:

https://www.box.com/s/28f2440e72ffe4242e6a

I stopped wearing a tool belt 10+ years ago... I have a new "gear" or "tool" bag that I either keep in the kitchen or tote it with me if needed. My old tool bag was larger and it held a bunch of stuff I never used(same bag that Morgan postd a picture of by Duluth Trading).

A few months ago I found a great bag that is smaller, has plenty of room to even hold my power screwdriver and even a bottle of water! Has a shoulder strap if I want, and plenty of side pockets. It is made by 511 Tactical, same folks that make great cargo pants.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... l-Bag.html