Men In Tights - Oh My!

hausdok

In the nearby town of Beaverton is a subdivision called Looking Glass Hill. Streets include Alice Lane, Madhatter Lane, Dutchess Way, Cheshire Road, Queen Lane, and King Blvd.

In the town of Lake Oswego, we've got Tolkien Lane, Hobbit Lane, Rivendell Court, Gimley Court, Hillshire Drive, and Anduin Terrace.

I've gotta say, it's better than the tiresome faux bucolic names that most developments get, like "Sparrowhawk Landing," or the nonsensical "Hill Valley."

I like 'Hill Valley".... One of our kind of odd local streets is "Clapboardtree" Street.. the area SW of Boston was loaded with cedar swamps and there were a lot of little mills around this region creating 'clapboards' (beveled wood siding) for colonists.. Sometimes pronounced 'cla-boards' (no p) or in true Bostonese, "clabbids"..

There is a Northwest Dallas neighborhood of Disney Streets of Midway Hills.

Streets all have Disney names:

Snow White Drive

Pinocchio Drive

Sleepy Lane

Cinderella Lane

Dwarfs Circle

and so on ... Neighborhood that is sought after for families. Homes all single-story brick, about 2000 s.f., circa ~1950s and on 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. Homes start at about $400K

No this is not a real estate sales note ... just some information about the neighborhood.

My street is North Division. There is no South Division, and it doesn't really divide anything. It was once called North School Street but the school closed in the 50's. Before that is was Slaughterhouse Road.

Imagine the poor child walking down the new School Street toward the old Slaughterhouse...

Lover's Lane and Animal Farm Road are two roads I know where the engineers couldn't rename the road. People tore the signs down until the officials gave in.

You been to Bear Creek? It's over by Beaver Lake there past Rock Creek. [:)]

Uptown suburbs, it's Englewood, off Hazelwood and Thistlewood.[:-crazy]

I like 'Hill Valley".... One of our kind of odd local streets is "Clapboardtree" Street.. the area SW of Boston was loaded with cedar swamps and there were a lot of little mills around this region creating 'clapboards' (beveled wood siding) for colonists.. Sometimes pronounced 'cla-boards' (no p) or in true Bostonese, "clabbids"..

Ha,

I grew up on the Connecticut state line in New York and my father called them "clabirds". I finally asked him how to spell it and he'd spelled it clapboards. It had me scratching my head but it stuck. Now I refer to beveled siding as clapboards all the time in my reports and I get a call several times a year from realtors or clients wondering what clapboards are.

As it turns out, that part of Edmonds is known as Sherwood Forest and other streets in that neighborhood are named "Robin Hood Drive", "Robbers Roost Road" and "Nottingham Road."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You guys have street names, lucky. I got 64 miles up hwy 87 turn on dirt road for 5 miles, turn left at old barn......

Nolan, You know what I'm talking about. You Plentywooder.

While I was a technician with The Associated Press (in Texas) I used to get all sorts of similar directions to radio station transmitter/tower sites "out in the country".

Actually made me feel 'at home' due to the Montana directions.

Neighborhood in Raleigh NC used to be a Boy Scout Camp. Street names reflect its history.

Tenderfoot Lane

Bowline Court

Cub Scout Trail

etc.

There are only 44 streets in Metro Atlanta with the Peachtree as part of the name. The hard part of Atlanta street names is they change every couple miles when you cross thru an intersection. One of the larger Peachtrees is Peachtree Industrial Bouelvard, Peachtree Parkway, and Peachtree Street depending on how far you have traveled.

..........our county seat, Penn Yan, is a swell little town with a "downtown district" served by Main Street. Leave town in one direction and you travel on North Main street - leave town driving the opposite direction and you travel on East Main street.........Greg