Electrical feed to AC compressor

Mike Lamb

In my opinion, this electrical feed to the AC compressor is subject to damage. Would NEC 334?30 be the applicable reference for this? Since the compressor should have a space between it and the house, what is a practical solution to correct this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015107121735_020%20AC%20feed.jpg

71.12 KB

Do you'all get many outdoor AC sections that levitate off the ground like that?

I ain't smokin' nothing.

Marc

In my opinion, this electrical feed to the AC compressor is subject to damage. Would NEC 334?30 be the applicable reference for this? Since the compressor should have a space between it and the house, what is a practical solution to correct this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015107121735_020%20AC%20feed.jpg

71.12 KB

Do you'all get many outdoor AC sections that levitate off the ground like that?

I ain't smokin' nothing.

Marc

Only when the fan is running.

• 1 month later...

I find problems related to the brackets sometimes. I've found the bracket arms set too wide and the AC unit is barely hanging on the ledges. A bit of vibration from normal operation and the unit will walk to one side then slip off the other ledge and fall in.

I've also found grading issues around them. Sometimes the bracket is installed before the final grade is finished. If the bracket is low then dirt gets piled around it. They almost never fill

the inside area and the result is a hole that catches surface water against the foundation.

My machine design 'perfesser' would not like that stress concentration point at the 90 degree bend. I would feel more comfortable with gusset plates welded on. That unit is going to be vibrating on the end of those cantilever beams for years and years. Oh, I'm sure they will be well tended, the rust wire brushed off, and painted regularly :-)