This ladder still OK?

Denray

Hardly ever have my LG ladder out and fully extended anymore. I know, it's sad. But I did have it extended the other day and it sure looked tweaked. Been over a year since I used it professionally and I just don't remember it having this much of a hyper back joint bend to it. Is this just the way they are and no big deal?

20181229_162241_resized - Copy (2).jpg

20181229_162241_resized - Copy.jpg

My ladders aren't like that and it would bother me if they were.  I have an aversion to falling because my equipment failed.  I see a lot of guys who don't set their ladders up at the correct angles- they're way too horizontally. 

Aluminum doesn't like being bent and, for the ladder to be over extended at it's center pivot, something got bent.

It doesn't matter what we say- send the photos to Little Giant and ask for their opinion. I'm sure they've tested dozens of ladders to failure.   

12 hours ago, John Kogel said:

Denny, wear a helmet. The rest of you Werners users, get a Jaws ladder. 

Seriously, I bought a Jaws from a retiring inspector, and it will never over extend like that. Also, the top section can easily be removed, making the ladder light and strong.

As far as I know, we can't buy Jaws ladders south of the border. I'd have to drive up to BC to pick one up. 

18 hours ago, Denray said:

Here's the cause. Holes and or pins get worn out.
Even though they have a lifetime warranty the LG rep said they are fine. 

20190107_112959_resized.jpg

20190107_113029_resized.jpg

I'd be concerned with that much wear, regardless of what the manufacturer said.  It's me that's climbing up the thing.  What Tom said.

Edited by Marc

21 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

As far as I know, we can't buy Jaws ladders south of the border. I'd have to drive up to BC to pick one up. 

You're welcome to visit us anytime, Jim, but I found a US website here:

https://www.idealproductusa.com/Catalog-of-products/Jaws-Ladders.shtml

The knuckle joint locks into position with tapered teeth and two big wingnuts hold the jaws tight.

The picture show a gal with her ladder angle way off. She could use a hand. 😎

One of the problems with that much wear in the joint is that the fully extended ladder wants to rock back & forth across its range of movement. Several years ago, someone posted a video of a guy who fell for exactly that reason. He had the ladder sticking up several feet above the edge of the roof and as he climbed it, he pushed forward on the top of the ladder, which caused the top to rock forward, the middle to rock out, and the bottom to pop out from under him. 

Everyone in the inspector groups on Facebook always recommended the 17' little giant or Werner. I find that size hard to handle. It's too big when I  need a small ladder and too short when I need a big one. I carry 300# rated Werner folders, 15' and 22'. If I need to make more than one trip or plan to spend more than a few minutes at height I grab a real extension ladder. They are far more comfortable to hang out on, and easier to set up. 

I wouldn't be worried about Denny's ladder as a step, but I wouldn't be comfortable on it fully extended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...