Sign in to follow this  
John Dirks Jr

conversion from LP to Nat Gas

Hi Gents,

I picked up a cast iron free standing vented fireplace that I want to use for a porch enclosure project.  Empire Comfort Systems CIBV-30-20 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/47436/Empire-Comfort-Systems-Pmn.html?page=22#manual

It's currently setup for LP and I want to convert it to Nat Gas.  What are the chances I can get away with drilling the burner orifice and pilot orifice?   With a little luck, might this get the job done?   Tracking down a conversion kit for this thing has been a bit challenging.   

Did you try contacting Empire Comfort? (Empire Stove Co.) I'm pretty sure they're still around.

Also contact Northern Propane Products.  I got some gas light parts there - not the right brand, but it worked.

I could see those two suppliers online but verifying if parts were exactly what I needed was questionable.  I'll contact them by phone and see if I have better luck that way.

Thanks

Hey John, I agree with Bill, but would have no problem broaching the orifice.  You know what I learned from your post?  I spell orifice wrong 99% of the time!

• Like 1

I called Northern Propane.  The gal on the phone was very helpful.  I gave her the model number and she said she'll make a call and get back to me.  She got back to me in about 5 minutes.  Although Empire does not currently stock the kit I want for that model, they are making one for me.  Orifices, parts to modify the gas valve and written instructions are on the way.   $86   I'm happy because the instructions for installation and flame adjustment will be helpful I think.

• Like 1