yet another flashlight

Chad Fabry

Just wondering how often folks are buying flashlights.  I'm still depending on my Streamlight, purchased in Jan 2010.  I've since purchased two more of the exact same model.  No failures, other than the battery (twice in almost ten years).

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, Chad Fabry said:

I just ordered a new flashlight. It's a Fenix E30R. Magnetic USB charging connection, waterproof, really small, good run time and weighs very little. 1600 lumens, $63.96 after you enter fenixusa20 as a discount code. 

On back-order 'till at least July.  I still ordered one.  I'm one of the flashlight geeks here.  As Bill said, just adding to the collection. . .

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit a flashlight geek myself.  I tried to get Fenix to participate in the last two articles I did but they didn't even respond to my requests. On a daily basis I still use my Streamlight Strions. They are a nice size and do a good job in attics and even closeup don't burn out the areas I am looking at. Once you get over 350 lumens the lights are just too bright for what we do.  For a newbie even the cheaper lights work pretty good.  Here is a link to my last article

http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Flashlight-Shootout-2018/15301

9 hours ago, R Bunzel said:

Once you get over 350 lumens the lights are just too bright for what we do.

That's true if you're using it to look inside an electrical panel, but not in a large attic or crawlspace. In those spaces, 350 lumens is probably the bare minimum. 

Try including some Surefire products in your next review. They're made in the USA, they're solid performers, and they're nearly indestructible. I've got an 8-year old G2X Pro that's never had its switch replaced.   

Time to replace the battery or the entire flashlight as my rechargeable Streamlight Stinger DS LED has left me stranded a couple of times now. I really loved the light when I replaced my Ultra Stinger with the $20 bulbs that would take a dump if you bumped the light with it turned on. Now though, I want more; an adjustable focus from flood to spot and dimmable settings. I have a couple of "no name - As Seen On TV" lights that have those features and are honestly as good operationally as the Stream light except they are so much smaller and cheaper that I don't really trust them yet. Flashlights have come a long way in the past few years.

I've been using an Olight M20-X Warrior light for the past 6-7 years.  Switch has never failed, have replaced one rechargeable battery and it has a 3-level switch.

Has served me very well.  Kurt M. gave me a head's up on this Olight many years ago when he was still active on TIJ.

I recall one additional plus he made about the Olight was the scalloped light shroud that could be used to keep REAs at bay.

I'm retired now, but still use the Olight for a multitude of projects each and every week.

15 minutes ago, Nolan Kienitz said:

I've been using an Olight M20-X Warrior light for the past 6-7 years.  Switch has never failed, have replaced one rechargeable battery and it has a 3-level switch.

Has served me very well.  Kurt M. gave me a head's up on this Olight many years ago when he was still active on TIJ.

I recall one additional plus he made about the Olight was the scalloped light shroud that could be used to keep REAs at bay.

I'm retired now, but still use the Olight for a multitude of projects each and every week.

That's one reason I resist the trend towards the little flashlights, I want something with more heft.

At my pre-licensing training in '02, there was a story by one of the speakers about how the inspector had gotten in trouble with the seller on account of him spilling the brain matter of his dog with a single blow of his flashlight.  The dog had attacked him in the kitchen.  German Shepherd, if memory serves.

Edited by Marc

I bought a Fenix PD35 in 2016 and have loved it since. I bought 2 extra batteries and keep them in my tool bag. 1000 lumen, several brightness settings, lightweight, tough and reasonably priced. This conversation prompted me to invest in the UC35 which has micro USB charging and a charge level indicator on the control button. Pretty cool.The E30R looks very nice, but I prefer to have a holster for my torch; less likely to fall from my hip into 18" of blown in fiberglass.

I have a similar version of Fenix that also has the switch on the side near the front.  I use it around the house but not on inspections.  I find the side mounted "push and hold" switch to turn on a bit wonky.  Sometimes I cant even find the switch unless I look at the light.  On the other hand, my old TK 15 is still in service at inspections.  The bulky tail switch is easy to find.  That thing is out of the holster and turned on before the beam is even on target.  If I buy a new light for inspections, I'm gonna try like hell to find one with a simple on/off tail switch.

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Chad Fabry said:

I just ordered a new flashlight. It's a Fenix E30R. Magnetic USB charging connection, waterproof, really small, good run time and weighs very little. 1600 lumens, $63.96 after you enter fenixusa20 as a discount code. 

I don't dislike this flashlight. I hate this flashlight.

It gets hot- uncomfortably hot. It has a single button for all functions. To turn it on, you have to hold the button for exactly  1/2  of a second and then release it. Then you have to cycle up through 5 steps to full brightness. If you hold the button for 6/10's of a second when you try to turn it on,  the light goes to strobe.

Twice, I've had to re-boot it by disconnecting the battery to get it to work. 

Oddly, the claimed 1600 lumens is drowned out by the 1,000 lumens of my UC35.

The only redeeming features are its small size and the magnetic charging.  

I bought the Fenix UC35 two yrs ago.  No complaints.  I dropped it about 20' to a wood deck.  No problem.  I dropped it about 10' to a metal deck.  No problem. Water proof.  I can vouch for shock protection and the light is bright. 960 lumens.

Edited by Mike Lamb

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/29/2019 at 9:31 AM, Marc said:

Just wondering how often folks are buying flashlights.  I'm still depending on my Streamlight, purchased in Jan 2010.  I've since purchased two more of the exact same model.  No failures, other than the battery (twice in almost ten years).

I would have to second that Streamlight choice. Maybe it's a carryover from my law enforcement days, but Streamlight has been the most dependable flashlights I've ever owned. I have a Stinger and a ProTac HL. The charger recently went out on my Stinger (purchased in 2011) and my only complaint about the ProTac (purchased at the same time) is if the inspection is long - you will probably need a spare set of CR123A batteries. I also like the Pelican 1920... it's more of a penlight, but it's plenty bright for tight spots, but not overly bright. I love the Pelican light, I just wish I could keep from losing them all the time.

Speaking of batteries, I've had pretty good luck with Tenergy rechargeable batteries. I've been using Tenergy Premiums (white body with blue lettering) and their Premium Pro series (black body with gold lettering). I'm still using all of the Tenergy premiums that I purchased about 6 or 7 years ago. I have no idea how many charge cycles they have on them.