Is this a common practice in your area?

Joe Tedesco

What the heck is it?

Like Eric said, we're all EMT & AC/Greenfield around here. I've never seen anything like that. Not sure I'd want to.

Is it OK to bring in the entire bundle of NMC through that knockout/bushing entrance on the top of the panel? (I honestly don't have a clue how to install rope; someone toss me a bone.)

I swiped this photo from another inspection forum --- It was, according to the gentleman who posted it there, from the November/December (2007?) issue of IAEI News (the International Association of Electrical Inspector magazine)

It points out the NEC violations involved with the bundled, unsecured NM cables entering the box....

Image Insert:

200818134046_many_NM_cables_in_one_fitting.jpg

63.44 KB

It's not too common around here, but I seen it a few times.

Hi,

I don't have the reference in front of me at the moment, but I believe that you're limited to no more than 4 NM cables through a single opening before you must derate the cable.

About 98% of what we see around here after 1966 is NM cable in one form or other and that would not fly here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by msteger

While it looks like crap, that is allowed. The manufacturer designed those other knockouts for a purpose. Hi.

They can't be bundled for more than 24".

It's allowed only if you meet the 7 conditions in 312.5©. Neither of the installations pictured in this thread meet those conditions.

Further, someone might argue that it isn't allowed at all because 312.5© only addresses surface mounted enclosures. The boxes in these pictures aren't surface mounted.

The manufacturer designed those knockouts for real conduit, not for cheater stubs for romex.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Bain

There aren't any markings on the insulation--that I can see. How's the installer going to label the circuits?

Wouldn't pass around here.

Circuits usually aren't labeled until the final (plugs, switches and lights) is completed. Once there is a meter and the final is completed, I would check all circuits with a plug tester. Check lights to work properly. With a helper, starting in the kitchen label kitchen 20amp circuits by turning breakers on and off. Work your way through the 15amp circuits. Arc Fault circuits, if required, are easy to label. Label your 240volt items and you are done. But please print in ink and print ledgibly.

Originally posted by Erby

Legibly. Asking a little much there aren't you Stewart. And ink?? Ya gotta be kiddig me. What if I want to change the use sometime? [:-slaphap[:-slaphap

Ledgibly - No I'm not kidding. See NEC 2008 408.4 Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification

Why would you want to change use of something if the panel circuits are labeled? And if you do, you can always create your own.

Most panel directories marked in pencil that I have seen have faded or gotten smudged. One local AHJ, last time I checked, insists that the panel directories (in residential) be marked in pen.