TIJ and Your Monitor Size

hausdok

Hey All,

TIJ no long fills up my monitor screen and I don't remember doing anything to change it.

Is it just me, or have the programming gnomes up in B.C. been doing something with the site settings since I was last in here about 11:00 am?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Something has changed. The pages render smaller from side to side.

FWIW, I liked the look. I don't have to scroll side to side.

The resizing was mainly for users with smaller than 1024 monitors and I'm thinking those days are pretty much in the past?

I'm assuming everyone has at least a 1024 resolution monitor now...

Jim I wasn't sure if you liked it better before or not?

Give me some feedback on this guys.

BTW: The white space won't be white anymore.

Michael Brown

DevWave Software Inc.

FWIW, I liked the look. I don't have to scroll side to side.

The resizing was mainly for users with smaller than 1024 monitors and I'm thinking those days are pretty much in the past?

I'm assuming everyone has at least a 1024 resolution monitor now...

Jim I wasn't sure if you liked it better before or not?

Give me some feedback on this guys.

BTW: The white space won't be white anymore.

Michael Brown

DevWave Software Inc.

The previous arrangement looked like it was custom fit to my monitor, while this one looks like it's been squished. I can, of course, resize it, but after one or two jumps in size, the graphics start to look pixelated.

I don't really have a preference. What are you planning to do with the white bars?

Six of one or half dozen of the other, don't make much difference.

I prefer the 100% to fixed width but I guess it depends on what you're going to do with the white space.

If you fill it up with something pretty neat, like my blog does, then it's still wasted space.

B4U Close Blog

If you do something useful with it, then it'd be neat.

Whatever, it's YOUR BB. We are just guests that like to visit. Do with it what you will and the rest of us will adapt after a bit of whining.

-

The previous arrangement looked like it was custom fit to my monitor, while this one looks like it's been squished. I can, of course, resize it, but after one or two jumps in size, the graphics start to look pixelated.

I don't really have a preference. What are you planning to do with the white bars?

I just want to update the look and layout a bit using some png's instead of the gif's. The side bars or white space will be filled in a bit. Just a change for now...

Michael

Here he is ... in his programming glory up in BC.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091011204836_LaptopGnome.jpg

10.37 KB

Not sure where you found that wimpy gnome... we have Texas size Gnomes up here. This pic is from a few miles up the road:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091012165036_gnome2.jpg

41.31 KB

Joe the table is set to 990 pixels so that should leave 17 pixels on each side? Not sure why you would still have to scroll? No for the BlackBerry although I have thought about a version... this isn't going to be it.

Michael

Joe the table is set to 990 pixels so that should leave 17 pixels on each side? Not sure why you would still have to scroll?

Michael

The main page of the message board (with the lists of various threads) fits perfectly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091012225529_Image1.jpg

66.14 KB

If I open a thread, about 15% of it doesn't fit. That happens with pretty much all of the other pages on TIJ.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091012225747_Image2.jpg

64.33 KB

Most other message boards fit perfectly. I know of one where I have to scroll like here.

It's not a problem for me. I only mentioned it because you asked for feedback.

In Firefox, when I click reset, the unseen area of an individual thread page shrinks from about 15%, to maybe 5%. On the main message board page, where before, it fit perfectly, it now has that same approximately 5% that's unseen. If I zoom out one level, there's a little white space on either side, which is what I'm guessing everyone else sees.

Using Opera, when it's set a at 100%, about 15% is unseen. It fits perfectly when it's set at 90%. Internet Explorer behaves identically.

Maybe I should just get myself a new monitor, since they seem to be practically giving them away.

Hi Joe,

Have you tried adjusting your monitor settings - height, width, centering top-too-bottom and side-to-side - using the buttons on the monitor versus the screen settings in your program? When I last replaced my monitor, it was a week before I figured out that I had to physically adjust those settings in order to get stuff to display correctly.

OT - OF!!!

M.

That thought popped into my head yesterday, Mike. I discovered that for some reason, the image size had shrunk and I hadn't noticed. I stretched it out to fill the monitor, but that just expanded the display as a whole, without changing the amount that's not viewable.

I forgot to do it last night, but I was going to see how TIJ displays on my laptop and my wife's laptop. If I manage to catch her in a half-decent mood, I might even ask my stepdaughter to bring it up on hers also.

Dear Gnome,

On Firefox 3.5.3

Just to let you know, the second tool bar is dark and barely visible.

And

On the posting form window, the bar is missing its maroon color with the exception of maybe 3/4" or so at the beginning to middle of the B in :Book Store.