Gas Dryer

Ponyboy

Today I looked at a 1939 condominium building which was fully renovated about 5 years ago. The gas dryer is installed in the full bathroom. I can't find gas dryers specifically mentioned in my code check book. I noted it as the same safety hazard that a gas water heater or furnace would be in a bathroom. Does the code allow a gas dryer in a bathroom or not?

Well, there's this:

G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. Appliances shall not

be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage

closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such

rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with

one of the following: blah, blah, blah.

But this is a big condo building. The IRC doesn't apply to it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

NY is a little different:

But this is a big condo building. The IRC doesn't apply to it.

303.3 from the Fuel Gas Code applies to all buildings except residential. So, in this case, it's true for both residential and building.

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the design, installation, maintenance, alteration and inspection of fuel gas piping and equipment, fuel gas-fired appliances and fuel gas-fired appliance venting systems that are permanently installed and specifically addressed herein.

Exceptions:

1. Detached one-and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories in height above grade with separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply with the Residential Code of New York State....

...............................................................................................

303.3 Prohibited locations. Appliances shall not be located in, or obtain combustion air from, any of the following rooms or spaces:

1. Sleeping rooms.

2. Bathrooms.

3. Toilet rooms.

4. Storage closets.

5. Surgical rooms.

Exceptions:

1. Direct-vent appliances that obtain all combustion air directly from the outdoors....

5. Appliances installed in an enclosure in which all combustion air is taken from the outdoors, in accordance with Section 304.6. Access to such enclosure shall be through a solid weather-stripped door, equipped with an approved self-closing device.

Why not a bathroom I wonder? First thought that came to mind was methane build up - as a joke though.

Combustion air problems?

Gas appliances are not allowed in bedrooms or bathrooms because of carbon monoxide poisoning and combustion air concerns. If a gas water heater is not allowed in a bathroom, shouldn’t a gas dryer not be allowed for the same reasons?

Since it is a condominium building I figured the owners would not change the combustion air and door to the laundry room. Currently a louvered door separates the laundry room from the bathroom. I recommended installing a Carbon Monoxide detector and not using the bathtub when the clothes dryer is in operation.

I recommended installing a Carbon Monoxide detector and not using the bathtub when the clothes dryer is in operation.

You've got me there Ponyboy. 'Can't use the tub when the clothes dryer is on'? What do you think the client is going to wonder about? The tub/dryer or the inspector?

Marc

I recommended installing a Carbon Monoxide detector and not using the bathtub when the clothes dryer is in operation.

You've got me there Ponyboy. 'Can't use the tub when the clothes dryer is on'? What do you think the client is going to wonder about? The tub/dryer or the inspector?

Marc

You'r missing the heart of the question, Mark. From a safety standpoint (Carbon Monoxide poisoning), what is the difference between a gas dryer, a gas water heater or a gas furnace in the bathroom? The later two are not allowed in this location.

. . . From a safety standpoint (Carbon Monoxide poisoning), what is the difference between a gas dryer, a gas water heater or a gas furnace in the bathroom? The later two are not allowed in this location.

The reference that Chad posted seems to indicate that they're all prohibited from that location.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It's just a bad idea. Bath fan on blowing 150cfm out the roof and the dryer on w/ a need for combustion air and blowing 200-300 cfm through the side wall. The wind will be coming under the door at leaf blower rates.

I've yet to see a bath fan that moves any significant amount of air. Even if they're sized correctly the ducting is so screwed up that all they do is make noise.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I see dryers (electric and gas) in laundry areas that share space with a half bathroom often. So you are saying that the code doesn't allow laundry areas to share space with bathrooms (should a gas clothes dryer be installed)?

It's not a matter of what I, or anyone else, says. Here's the code section:

G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. Appliances shall not

be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage

closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such

rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with

one of the following: blah, blah, blah.

Gas dryers are considered to be gas appliances.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

. . . From a safety standpoint (Carbon Monoxide poisoning), what is the difference between a gas dryer, a gas water heater or a gas furnace in the bathroom? The later two are not allowed in this location.

The reference that Chad posted seems to indicate that they're all prohibited from that location.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

furnaces and water heaters are unattended appliances.

a gas dryer is an attended appliance

there is a difference.....

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Where is that distinction made in the Fuel Gas Code or the IRC?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I don't like it but that's the answer. For some reason the gas dryer is considered an unattended appliance like a stove so it is allowed.

So if you ever see a stove being used in a bathroom, that's OK also.[:-blindfo

I don't like it but that's the answer. For some reason the gas dryer is considered an unattended appliance like a stove so it is allowed.

So if you ever see a stove being used in a bathroom, that's OK also.[:-blindfo

Oh, I understand the concept. I'm just wondering what the reference is.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 9 years later...