business vehicle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . They say the 2L engine has poor acceleration. It's not that bad really. . . .

I'd like to hear your opinion again after a year, especially after you've had some time away from the Jeep.

No question the 4.0 in the Jeep has tons of grunt. It's staying with the family.

Meanwhile, the Transit 2.0 will do just fine. You just have to get used to available power and tq being higher on the rpm band. Have some heart and put the pedal down. It moves just fine.

I had a 92' Toyota pickup with a 22 RE engine - basic 4 banger - that had 800Lbs of tools, equipment, parts and supplies in the bed which was covered with a home-made wooden double gull-wing cover and home-made box-tubing headache rack. It had two sets of overload springs on it to keep the rear end from sitting down. The rear mud grips averaged 9 months a pair.

There was so much weight in it that if I was accelerating, the pedal was floored...always. Lasted over ten years until it hit 279 K miles. I got a discount on clutch plates from my mechanic cause I was wearing them out so quick.

Some vehicles can take whatever you can dish out.

Marc

How long is a Little Giant ladder when fully collapsed?

My 22 ft knock off is over 60 inches.

Two bolts and the single section (behind front passenger)of the split rear bench comes out. This gives you 70" of floor between the back of the front passenger seat and the rear cargo door. The double section of split rear can remain for a laptop working position.

The automatic transmission in the Transit seems pretty well programmed for the smaller engine. Even though its an automatic it has a sense of drivability. Based on the position of throttle opening controlled by your foot on the gas pedal, you can somewhat control the shift points. It hangs in the lower gears a bit longer which is good for the smaller engine with less power. To get in hi gear faster you just hammer down in the lower gear then gradually let off to upshift.

I have an 02 Dakota with a 5.9 Magnum, full roller valve train. Tons of power and the engine is awesome. But the automatic trans in that truck sucks. It's programming has a mind of its own. No control of shift points by throttle position. It's the only automatic trans I've ever owned that acts like that and I hate it. Full throttle upshifts are fine but anything less it gives the driver no sense of control.

Dakota: Da-Dump it.. Tranny does stink. (Been there for a short period).

I gotta say, my E150 has been great these past years.. ... Never an issue with trannie or engine.. front end stuff--not so good.. but everything else has been great.. Easily carries the 32' ext ladder and the other ladders (inside) and the other associated malarkey...

I may go Transit Connect though.. I've been checking them out at the dealer and so forth.. the 21' LG fits in the back just fine of a TC.... I'd miss the high seat position of the E150 though... The E150 has been great what with the kid in college, playing around Boston in bands and so forth.. I'm kind of torn..

I wouldn't worry much about the lower torque/hp. I've been driving a 2.0 liter Jeep Patriot for over a year now-- it has a whopping 141 ft lbs of torque & 158 hp. I just have to drive it like a 125cc 2 stroke vs. a 250........ Avg. mpg. is 26, so less power is worth it in my opinion.

I would be disappointed in the power and the performance. My Sorento has 276 HP and almost 250 lb ft of torque. I averaged 23 MPG at 80 MPH on my way home from Jersey, and that was through the mountains of Eastern PA.

My ladders fit inside, but my favorite place to haul them is on the back rack on the hitch so I don't have to listen to them rattle.

23 MPG at 80 MPH on my way home from Jersey, and that was through the mountains of Eastern PA.

I don't have a clue what I'd get on a long highway trip, but the best I've gotten is 31mpg on a fishing trip up into the mountains. 23 is pretty good for a muscle SUV.

I can't get used to using those fold up ladders (tried them), so I've got a rack on top for my extension ladder.

John--

Will you post a picture of your ladder rack once you install it? I was close to buying the Transit, and am curious how it will work out for you.

This rack has tracks that mount to the Transits factory mounting bosses. The factory has 4 threaded bosses. The factory positions are situated closer to the front part of the roof. Because of this, the rear part of the tracks need extra holes drilled. I drilled an extra mounting hole for each track near the rear part. In the first picture which shows the roller on the rear of the rack, you can see how the track at the left rear is not flush down on the roof. This picture was taken before I installed the extra pair of mounting holes. The snap buttons and rear speaker grills came apart easy to lower the headliner for installing the extra fasteners. The rack weighs about 30lbs. It's position on the roof can be slid to front or rear. I put mine with the roller near the rear for easier loading of larger ladders and stuff. It's flexes slightly as you would expect aluminum to do but it is very sturdy.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012112123405_photo%20(5).jpg

64.32?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121121234031_photo%20(4).jpg

70.07?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121121234058_photo%20(6).jpg

66.61?KB

I was at the cop shop today, getting the switches in my Streamlights replaced . When I came out, I saw a brand-new Ram cargo van parked next to my 2003 Mazda MPV. I had been planning to go with the Ram for my next inspection vehicle. Being able to see a side-by-side comparison with my current vehicle cemented the choice. I really like that van.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201211292380_1%20108.jpg

41.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012112923850_1%20109.jpg

36.77 KB

Yeah,

Being in the Seattle area I occasionally have to go downtown (Something I hate more than getting a colonoscopy) for jobs. Parking downtown when one has to do a unit in a highrise can be 30 minutes circling several blocks trying to find an open spot. Then I have to swipe a card, go back and stick a receipt on the window and then lug my gear for a long way to get to the building. My vehicle is left on the street right where every junky in the city walking down the street can see it and might try a smash and grab. I prefer the parking garages and most of them are so low at the entry, because the buildings are on such steep slopes, that a tall vehicle like that can't go in. That's why I got rid of my van and went with my baja. That thing looks a little high for most of those. With a rack and ladders on top of the rack, I think I'd be right back out on the street again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

With the commercial plates I have and the signage I can park 3 hours in a residential zone, 3 hours on a 2 hour meter (as long as I feed the meter) and for days in Cambridge in residential zones.. Putting the signage on made my life in the City a heck of a lot easier.. Now Somerville.. that's another story.. total parking hell.. but even then, I figure it out.. Add 3' of snow in that milieu and boy.. 'it can suck bad'..

My perfect vehicle would be a Transit connect, no side windows/rear window (in the back areas), TV camera back-up, and AWD...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...