A dilemma

So I am an Air Force reservist(Law enforcement side) and have been serving for 24 years. A couple of days ago I got the dreaded call which was basically "you are being activated from May 1st through Feb of 2012". The reason for the activation is for deployment(you can guess where). Some of you guys have been doing this a long time. If you had to take a substantial leave of absence, did you recommend someone to your professional contacts? I am a member of ASHI and the ASHIWW chapter so was just thinking that I would recommend they just find an inspector that way. Just trying to see if anyone else had success do something different.

The 1st thing that comes to mind is to make a post on the front page of your website that you are proudly serving your country and will return from deployment in Feb 2012 and will be performing inspection from that time... or something along those lines. If you know an inspector who may return the favor you might suggest they contact Mr. X... I think it is important for as many people as possible to know you are not out of business but are serving overseas. Just my 2 cents.

So I am an Air Force reservist(Law enforcement side) and have been serving for 24 years. A couple of days ago I got the dreaded call which was basically "you are being activated from May 1st through Feb of 2012". The reason for the activation is for deployment(you can guess where). Some of you guys have been doing this a long time. If you had to take a substantial leave of absence, did you recommend someone to your professional contacts? I am a member of ASHI and the ASHIWW chapter so was just thinking that I would recommend they just find an inspector that way. Just trying to see if anyone else had success do something different.

Any of the guys here close to you? I'd turn here first.

If you have a local ASHI Chapter you could try there as well Rob. I would think that there should be those that will help you with a "keep your hands out of the cookie jar" understanding. Isn't it funny that you would even think about worrying over something like that.

When are you leaving?

In the scheme of things, what you are about to do is far more important than telling someone their steps are a trip hazard.

While you're gone other opportunities that you've never even dreamed of may present themselves.

Thanks for the sacrifice. I mean going over, not the goat you told me about last week- that was just sick.

Thanks guys. My "report" date is 1 May. There is always the possibility that something changes and I not get activated, but.... So basically, I would report to my unit. Then it would be approx three weeks of warfare training in a rather warm climate and then deployment to one of the sand boxes. This will actually be my third trip. I went over during the first Gulf War. I then went to Qatar during the initial surge into Afghanistan in the fall of 2001.

It's a little different this time as I own my own business now. I have some pretty good professional relationships so I think that when I return, I will see them again. I will more than likely refer people to the local ASHI chapter website.

Thanks for the idea of changing my main page on my website. Will definitely be doing that as time approaches.

Chad, that goat didn't feel a thing!:)

Thanks guys. My "report" date is 1 May. There is always the possibility that something changes and I not get activated, but.... So basically, I would report to my unit. Then it would be approx three weeks of warfare training in a rather warm climate and then deployment to one of the sand boxes. This will actually be my third trip. I went over during the first Gulf War. I then went to Qatar during the initial surge into Afghanistan in the fall of 2001.

It's a little different this time as I own my own business now. I have some pretty good professional relationships so I think that when I return, I will see them again. I will more than likely refer people to the local ASHI chapter website.

Thanks for the idea of changing my main page on my website. Will definitely be doing that as time approaches.

Chad, that goat didn't feel a thing!:)

Both my boys served on the John C. Stennis (one working a catapult and one a flyer. Each at different times and different campaigns.) I had the pleasure of going out to sea with them on that boat twice. I got to see first hand what they did and understand that while deployed sleep is a very precious commodity. Since then, I have the highest possible respect for what you guys do, and it was already awfully high. The opening page of my web site has been dedicated to those who serve since then. No one gets to book an inspection via my site without first being reminded to pause, pray for (if it's your habit) and thank you guys. All active military and veterans get a 25% discount, along with law enforcement. Anyone that puts themself at risk for me, has my attention and appreciation.

It's so easy to forget there are folks behind the scene (like yourself) that have to go through things, like what you're dealing with now, so we can rest easy and belly-ache about everything. [:-tophat]

I know that you're right about hearing from your faithful business associates when you return. They'll be happy you're back.

You'll definitely be on my list while you're gone.

First of all, thanks for your service to our country.

How about making a deal with someone that you know and trust in your area and have your business phone number forwarded to them while you are away. If they book an inspection through your phone number they should make a deposit for a percentage of the sale in a special account that you set up and they need to explain that you are temporarily away serving in the Air Force Reserve.

Your associate should tell the potential client that the fee will be shared with you while you are serving. I think it is a win for everyone. The inspection company that is covering for you gets business that they would not have had, you get to make some extra money, and the client will feel patriotic in helping you out while you are serving.

You probably need some type of hold harmless agreement (it sucks that we have to think this way).

Your phone number will remain active while you are away and when you come back just stop the forwarding and continue building your business.

The trick is to find someone that you can trust.

Good Luck!!

You guys are the best. I appreciate all of the well wishes and feedback. I have a few months to get everything in order, that I am grateful for. I would be really stressing if I received the 24 hour to report call. That's what happened in 2001 when we first went to Afghanistan.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes. It is much appreciated.

Yes, thanks Rob for your service. My oldest son is a med tech in the air force and my next oldest son and daughter are both getting ready to enter the air force.

As far as your biz and judging by what happened to Jim Katen when he was out of action, there won't be much biz to refer once the word gets out that you're off serving our country. I think the message should be clear that you are coming back and when, but that's about all you need to worry about.

When you come back and the word gets out that you're back, you're old clients will start returning. Talk to Jim Katen about his experience, maybe he can fill you in further on what to expect.

Good luck and thanks again for your sacrifice.

Chris, Oregon