Name this tree/weed?

These trees grow in alleys all over Chicagoland and if left alone become gargantuan menaces to fences and garages. They can grow six or 8 feet in just one summer.

Does anyone know the name of these things?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201341511625_023tt.jpg

61.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201341511641_025tt.jpg

59.62 KB

These trees grow in alleys all over Chicagoland and if left alone become gargantuan menaces to fences and garages. They can grow six or 8 feet in just one summer.

Does anyone know the name of these things?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201341511625_023tt.jpg

61.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201341511641_025tt.jpg

59.62 KB

Be-leaf it or not, I was told those are actually some sort of weed.

Hard to identify a tree without seeing the foliage.

Do the leaves look like this:

Mimosa - big problem around here, grows anywhere like a weed self rooting. Category II Invasive

No. That's not it. I do believe it is a big ass weed tho.

I hope to have leaves around here in a few weeks. Chicago won't shake off the winter yet.

Poplar Elderberry.

Box Elder has rough bark, Les. Google 'Elderberry bark', looks like a possible match.

We have elderberry here that grows like stink. The blue berries are good for wine, so they say. The Red berries are good for nothing. They are both females. [:)]

Those aren't elderberry. I have a close, evil relationship with such, and would know one from a mile away.

No, Mulberry.

They're weed trees. Some squirrel or rat shit out a seed along the fence, they grow. Yes, 8' of sucker growth in a year is not unheard of.

I've cut those things down to flush stumps, and they grow back as bushes. I've put 50 lbs. of rock salt on the stump, and they grow through the salt.

Hack it down to nothing, and poison it. It's the only thing that kills it.

Not mature enough to be 100% positive, but it's probably the White Mulberry. Unlike the native Red Mulberry, it's considered an invasive species.

I did some research on a silk mill building and read about the introduction of the Red Mulberry. It was brought from China when there were major efforts to establish silk industries in this area in the late 18th century.

Seeds are spread quickly by many types of critters and it grows very rapidly. It has spread to all Continental States. Like Mike's description, they grow like weeds even after becoming a tree.

Not mature enough to be 100% positive, but it's probably the White Mulberry.

Bill, I haven't thought of you being immature, but if you say so ... [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013415235613_800px-Bark_Broussonetia_papyrifera.jpg

63.58 KBThis mulberry bark looks rough, but if you look closer, there are the horizontal scars, alright. Kurt got it, hands on experience with the young shoots.

I had the berry part so I was half right. I danced around the mulberry bush a few times when I was a kid, but don't recall ever seeing one.