Ladders

hausdok

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I checked 24 because that was the only choice at the time. It's the ladder I carry for maybe 90% of my inspections. I own a 32 and a 40. I charge extra for the 40. I'm not sure but I think it's gaining weight as I age.

When I can't get on a roof because there's no way to get up there by using my 22 ft. ladder, or a combination of the 22ft. ladder and the 13ft. ladder, I'll inspect it from the ground with binoculars. If the client isn't satisfied with that, I'm happy to come back for a reinspection fee when they've had a 30ft. (or 40ft. if necessary) ladder dropped off by the local tool rental place.

Don't know why, but it seems like that's always happening when I have a job to do in West Seattle; thankfully, there's a Hertz tool rental place over there and they're happy to drop off those long ladders and come right back an hour later to pick 'em up. The hard part is getting the danged things stood up once they drop 'em off. I have to agree with Chad, they seem to be making those things heavier every year.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 years later...

I have been inspecting for five years now and have only used one ladder; a 15' telescoping ladder. What I cant reach with it I can 99% of the time limb up to that roof, lift the ladder up and climb higher. Its light enough that I can lift it from above, adjusts to many levels, and is small enough to fit in the trunk of my wife's Spectra when my truck is in the shop.

I checked 24 because that was the only choice at the time. It's the ladder I carry for maybe 90% of my inspections. I own a 32 and a 40. I charge extra for the 40. I'm not sure but I think it's gaining weight as I age.

Doesn't OSHA require 2 people to set up a 40' ladder?

I carry a 15' telescoping, binoculars, or will climb out of a window. I also use the telescoping from one roof to another if it's safe or will not cause damage.

Like me, I think my 40' is putting on weight. I don't have to drag it out even once a year but when I do........ I'm almost finished painting my house and have left the tall gable end till last. It will take three of four sets with the 40 to get that. Perhaps I'll do it this week end.

My father often referred to himself as a Spanish Jew. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

The DIY paint saved me enough to pay for most of the family vacation to DC.

I'm working a trade out with a RE broker to use his condo on the Emerald Coast for a week this summer. I think I need to look at some new construction methods down there to be able to write the other expenses off as a "pretax dollar" vacation.

I'm not payed enough to get up on a 40' ladder! Why even take the risk.

ditto!

I used to carry a 28' and a 13'. When the feet finally fell of the 28' from thousand of miles of riding atop my camper shell, I replaced it with a 24', which covers the lion's share of stuff I have to climb. Usually if it's taller, I find another way - out a window onto a lower roof, through a hatch, or get on the adjoining building roof and hop over the firewall (most homes taller that 24' around here are city row houses, so usually I can find a way.)

I'm really not all that bothered by heights (normally), and have been on some awfully tall scaffolds. I've only climbed a 40' ladder once - a roofers - and have no desire to ever do it again. [:-graduat

The little 13' extension is by far the BEST ladder I've ever owned. It's light as a feather and really versitile - easily shot through a window onto a lower roof, and typically the perfect length to reach the upper roof. I bought a little giant and HATED IT. It's been in my shed since the day I bought it. The dang things are HEAVY and a real pisser to use. I can be up that 13' before one can even unfold the LG. If you haven't checked out a 13' extension, you're missing out.

I bought a LG too. Used it once then gave it away after collecting dust in my shop for several years. Too heavy and too cumbersome to open it up. I value my 16" extension, 6' step and 2' step. My 28' extension sits in my shop. I haul it out maybe twice a year.

Marc

I bought a LG too. Used it once then gave it away after collecting dust in my shop for several years. Too heavy and too cumbersome to open it up. I value my 16" extension, 6' step and 2' step. My 28' extension sits in my shop. I haul it out maybe twice a year.

Marc

My folding ladder is a "Jaws". I highly recommend you seek them out. They are stronger and lighter than the LG's of similar size. I leave the top extension off, so it is even lighter. I could have packed it up to the second floor balcony today, 2 storey TH, but I prefer to just go up from the ground with my 28'. It is quick and secure, in my mind. I have scared myself a few times with the short ladder on the porch roof or the slippery deck. To each his own, and be careful up there.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201162224619_roof.jpg

68.39 KB

Little Giants are not cumbersome to use and really aren't that heavy (well, except for the big one, on both counts). You just need to get some practice using them for a while. You will eventually pinch your fingers really bad, but the good news is, you'll only do it once.

Below is a video I made a few years back and never used. I don't specifically remember why I made it, but I'm guessing that it was to respond to posts in a message board about Little Giant's being difficult to use.

I'm not too smooth here, because it's about 10 degrees and windy, plus I'm wearing gloves.

Flicker must have a 90 second video limit - the last few seconds are cut off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspectorjoe/5792248726/