Weight in for weight lost

Phillip

For the first two months I was not having any success. On March 1st I started following the south beach diet which is basically a low carb diet. I am down 6 pounds is 3 weeks. I think I'll stick with this for awhile.

Scott,

you may be on to something with the no scale thing. If you feel better and look better than the actual weight is not that important. Being a slave to the scale can be all consuming.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm down two notches on my belt and almost a full pant size.

I'm two notches down too but I wasn't dieting. Today is the last day of an annual 19 day daytime fast. No food or drink from sunrise to sunset. It also marks the end of the last month of our year. In 2 hours begins our New Year celebration. Curious? Click here..

Marc

I'm two notches down too but I wasn't dieting. Today is the last day of an annual 19 day daytime fast. No food or drink from sunrise to sunset. It also marks the end of the last month of our year. In 2 hours begins our New Year celebration. Curious? Click here..

Marc

Everything in moderation.

I'm always suspect of those that go beyond the edge..... justs weirds me out like some Koolaid thing.

Sorry for polluting the thread....

• 4 weeks later...

At just over 3 months I have removed 30 lbs., but more importantly my sugar and cholesterol number are now within the normal range. And done without taking drugs to control the sugar and cholesterol.

The only low count is my vitamin D. Now that winter is over, maybe I can get out and get some of that free vitamin D.

The plan is to remove a total of 50 lbs. by years end and another 50 in 2011. By then the economy, and house sales, should be up and I will be in perfect shape to take on all the added work!

Just setting here dreaming.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

I disagree.

I'm reasonably fit and it sure isn't isn't because of my diet. I eat like a Billy Goat and drink too much red wine, but I also exercise.

It's not one or the other. It's much more than that. It's about your whole lifestyle.

Congratulations Ezra! You are a brave man for posting your progress for all to see. Good luck!

Certainly your right, but it places you squarely in the wrong.

You're talking about something else entirely, primarily genetic predisposition.

It is about diet. Exercise plays a part, but a very small one.

Go to NYT online, search weight loss diet, and bore yourself to tears with a lot of credible reference material.

I disagree.

I'm reasonably fit and it sure isn't isn't because of my diet. I eat like a Billy Goat and drink too much red wine, but I also exercise.

It's not one or the other. It's much more than that. It's about your whole lifestyle.

Congratulations Ezra! You are a brave man for posting your progress for all to see. Good luck!

I'm with you, Jim.

I've lost over forty pounds twice by working out with weights, and a small initial adjustment to my diet.

Once MY system was used to the program, I ate whatever, when ever, and still lost. It wasn't even a challenge, as long as I worked out.

At 46 I was in better condition than when I played high school hockey. (LIAR)

Once I stopped, UH OH!

Bottom line is, no matter how you achieve it, you've got to want it.

Congratulations Ezra!

The red sox suck.

Hey all, lost 12-15 pounds still fluctuating. I dont mind. My cool pants fit and a few other articles of clothing as well.

Just to chime in on Diet v Workout.

Both of those words need to be defined in greater detail. So here is different look at it. Many of you eat what you want and never look into a gym or jogging path. Yet, remain at whatever wieght and fitness level your at. Nice. You may have several things going for you; great metabolism; naturaly active and the best one, your job. My last job I was a soldier, very active and very fit. I could and did eat everything. Well as promotions go you eventually hit a desk and you start to grow your ass out a bit. Sedate, no movement beyond the phone and the printer. Get home and get you tired of listening to your sweat roll down your neck. Gotta get active to create heat, warm up the bodies core. Must burn the calories.

My point: Workout = Activity: create horespower, which can be measured as Calories burned. Your job and daily level of activity has much to do with 'working-out'. If your job and life has pretty much stopped you from being active your going to naturally build a bigger bum,,,, calories are accumulative, they add up on your hips and chins. If you feed on Big Macs, which are over 600 calories each and dont do 600 calories of activity, your going to pay extra at the Airport, eventualy.

Walk or run the dog 20-30 min

Beg the missus for some 15-20

Jumping rope 5min

Canoing

Golf,,,no cart carry your clubs (I do)

Steps not elevators

These add up..................

Diet is the second scarriest word in a mans lexicon, right behind shopping. Its only a word. I prefer to call it what realy is. EATING. I have been pretty good at eating, almost 47 years. Started off a little slow, needed some help in the beginning (thanx Mom). But after awhile I got the hang of it and am eating all by myself. Thought I was doing okay until I discovered that some of what I was eating, didnt agree with me (peanuts, lactose). So I had to figure out what I could eat and what I should try and avoid. Its eating, three to 6 times a day, but what are we eating. If you watch the movie Supersize me, over half way thru his experiment the doctor told him to stop or it could kill him, that was 15 days of eating fast food and no activity,,,,,hhhhmmmm GIGO:garbage in; garbage out

To sum up.

You need both. Its how you get both. We all get there in different ways. You guys that are still banging nails are probably fit and trim, you eat to feed the machine. As you slow down your activity, you gotta be more selective with what your feeding the machine. Because as many of us have found out, getting rid if that extra 10 20 pounds is brutal..

Good luck with your weight lose regime.....

Steve

The magic of 55 is my story, and now that I'm on my way, I'll bore ya with it.

I'll be 55 in August, born in 1955. I was 55 pounds overweight (220, with 165 being my ideal weight). Started my diet March 1st, and allowing for seven misc days of eating normal (Easter, Anniversay, etc.), it will be 5.5 months 'till my birthday, that being the last day of my diet. I will diet until I'm at 155 pounds, 'cause I'll probably put ten back on when I go back to normal eating.

The magic of 55. I've already lost 25 lbs. See ya in August.

Being a Type 1 diabetic since 1967 has added all sorts of complications to doing quasi-normal things. Losing weight is one of them as the required insulin (via insulin pump for the past 25-years) actually tends to cause one to eat a tad more. Sucks!

Anyway ... I'm working my limited, small steps to also reach my target of ~ 175#.

Now ... baseball ... all I can say is that the Texas Rangers have new owners!!! Maybe in the next year or two they will get on track.

Same for the Cubs.........no predictions other than it's another season.

Also, there's a substantial growing body of evidence that exercise plays a small part in weight loss. Yes, some folks have isolated success, again dependent on genetic predisposition. For the most part, diet plays the most important role.

Isolated individual instances of success through exercise, or the odd person that eats whatever they want and loses weight by strenuous exercise is, of course, possible, but the science behind weight loss is hard to refute.

• 5 months later...

Goal: 185 lbs

Start: September 10, 2010 - 209 lb

Update: September 22, 2010 - 198 lb

Method: Adkins Diet (done it before. works for me. I must be very carbohydrate sensitive. carbs = lbs on me)

Exercise: None yet other than inspecting,

(A brisk two mile a day walk is on the agenda (lost 29 lbs that way in nine months a couple of years ago.)

Incentive: A lean and mean Snowboarding

(A brisk two mile a day walk is on the agenda (lost 29 lbs that way in nine months a couple of years ago.)

Michael,

You seem like a guy with a lot of energy.

You should look into the P90X workout. The results are guaranteed, and it will definitly get you ready for the snowboarding season (if you can survive the workout).

I have a neighbor who was 370 something a couple of years ago. Didn't see much of him. He didn't spend much time anywhere besides work and the couch.

Noticed a new guy living at the house the last few months.

I thought the wife had gotten a new husband after he was gone.

Found out a week or so ago that it was him at 209 pounds.

http://teambeachbody.com/connect/succes ... F327.node2

He's the first one on the page.

Sharp!

Credits it to P90X.

He's made several talks about it.

Actually, I own it (P90X), but really feel it prudent to work up to it, at age 57 (58 in five days). I've been known to jump into something too hard and really pay for it (injury). But, P90X is on the agenda.

I've always been active. I was a competitive swimmer in the AAU (now USAA) for eight years (individual medley). Ten of us swam the first 100 mile marathon over a Thanksgiving Holiday in the mid sixties. The Baltimore Sun and Washington Post and Star followed us. While I wasn't even close to our fastest swimmer on the team, I turned in the fastest mile (21 minutes) by swimming backstroke down and freestyle back (protagonist and antagonist muscles. It kept me from cramping and gave a lot of my body a rest on alternative laps - 62 total). After that, a lot of teams tried to beat our record.

Then, I played "A League" county basketball for several years. We came in second to a team that Fred Hetzel (of LA Lakers fame) played on. In 2007 I got into wildlife photography and ended up hiking 108 miles and mountain biking 700 miles solo into wilderness areas after the critters.

My son had been bugging me to learn to snowboard for years. Finally, worked up the courage to give it a whirl. I'd always been worried about injuring myself and being out of work for months, which did happen when I was playing basketball. I had never done any snow sports prior. The first year I was hooked, hitting the slopes twenty-five times in one season. I went from pretty bad to pretty good. The next year I went about fifteen times and paid for a couple of tweaking lessons. The instructor asked me if I would consider instructing, but the pay is lousy and it's too far to drive. Last season, I hit the slopes like a pro. I bet I fell maybe six or seven times all season. But, all three past years, I was much heavier than I like to be. This year, I'm committed to hitting the slopes in excellent shape and trying to kick it up a notch as far as slope difficulty.

This is the first Summer that I didn't really do anything strenuous, I've been letting that knee heal, which it has marvelously. I'm a full 100% and ready for action.

• 2 weeks later...

Goal: 185 lbs

Start: September 10, 2010 - 209 lb

Update: September 22, 2010 - 198 lb

Method: Adkins Diet (done it before. works for me. I must be very carbohydrate sensitive. carbs = lbs on me)

Exercise: None yet other than inspecting,

Update: 194 lb and continuing to drop. The Adkins diet worked a few years ago, and is working well again this time. After a bit of a stall, the weight suddenly seems to be falling off. As I get lighter, I feel that my joints will better handle something like P90X, which is next for sure. It's going to be great snowboarding twenty-four pounds lighter (my goal) than ever before - that is if old man Winter cooperates...

I feel that my joints will better handle something like P90X, which is next for sure.

My advice is to not attempt the entire workout right out of the gate. You will end up so beat up, you may quit. You may not want to do a full 5-6 days a week right off. Also, maybe for the first week or two, do only the first half of the video per day.

When you start doing the workout, half a$$ it-- no kidding. If you can do 10 push- ups at a time at the start, only do 5-7 or so, because you will then have some reserves for the second half of the video since you will be doing the same exercises all over again. As you start to get into better shape, you will be able to know how hard to push throughout the hour to have just enough reserves to finish.

Enjoy plyometrics....[:-weepn]

I feel that my joints will better handle something like P90X, which is next for sure.

My advice is to not attempt the entire workout right out of the gate. You will end up so beat up, you may quit. You may not want to do a full 5-6 days a week right off. Also, maybe for the first week or two, do only the first half of the video per day.

When you start doing the workout, half a$$ it-- no kidding. If you can do 10 push- ups at a time at the start, only do 5-7 or so, because you will then have some reserves for the second half of the video since you will be doing the same exercises all over again. As you start to get into better shape, you will be able to know how hard to push throughout the hour to have just enough reserves to finish.

Enjoy plyometrics....[:-weepn]

Thanks Brandon. Thankfully, I've always been naturally pretty muscular, and sports and bricklaying kept me toned. Even to this day, in horrible shape, I can drop and do 15 - 20 pushups - no problem. My main area of concern and caution is these 59 year old joints. They won't bounce back from injury like muscles do. So, that's where I need to be careful.