on the belt

John Dirks Jr

OMG, I thought I was the only one on the planet that remembered the banana man with his train loaded down with bananas... pulling bananas out of everywhere with a, "Wowwwwwwwwww!!!!" Lol.. What a great memory...

John, OK, if there's ever a home inspector's tool shootout, I'm picking you for my team - lookin' like the terminator and all...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boot's that don't require shining. Bet that get's Mike O pissed.
Won't piss me off. When I returned from ODS I brought my desert issue non-polish boots with me and would only not wear them when specifically prohibited from doing so. I loved those things. Hell, after 16 years of spit shining jump boots who wouldn't? Believe it or not, I've still got them around here someplace but the jump boots went into the dumpster a looooonnnggg time ago.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The only use I ever have for a tape measure is to lend it to the client to keep them busy. What do you need to measure?

I use a tape measure occasionally to measure the diameter of HVAC flexible air return ducts. They are often undersized. I might also measure the dimensions of floor, ceiling or roof deck openings when inspecting the framing, the distance between window sills and the floor or the window dimensions themselves.

Marc

For 25 years, we've made it a point to try to look like professional building consultants, not Schneider.

Fetch the tools as you need 'em.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201037224933_schneider.jpg

12.4�KB

Yeah but tool belt or no, I bet you really impress the clients with those bell bottoms[;)]

Tom

Since I've added 3 inches to my waist since the '70s, the old bells won't fit anymore. I still have the same cheesy mustache though.

The only use I ever have for a tape measure is to lend it to the client to keep them busy. What do you need to measure?

I have a folding 18" ruler in my clipboard for most things (tread depth, risers, etc.). My knee (a perfect 4" sphere) is fine for measuring spindle spacing. Ceiling fan height is an easy call without a tape measure.

I'll bring a tape measure upstairs if the bedroom EE&RO sizes look like they're going to be a close call.

I don't wear a tie...I feel the client is expecting me to explore every nook and cranny of the house, so they expect me to get at least a little dirty. I wear a Duluth Trading FOM button down shirt in steel blue with a pair of Carharrt six-pocket cargo pants. I have my shirts embroidered with my logo and my InterNACHI patch sewn on the sleeve. The shirt has a left and right chest pocket, a cell phone pocket above the chest pocket, and pencil slots on both sleeves. I use an Occidental Leather tool pouch with my flashlight, a mini maglite, a torpedo level, a moisture meter, a microwave test bar, an IR thermometer, Suretest recdeptacle tester, non-contact voltage tester, two lead test probe, compass, Ridgid 12V mini driver with various bits, a clean rag, a marble, a yellow and red lumber crayon, and another minimag flashlight. The rest of my stuff is in the truck.

Might need to measure things like,

joist span

beam spam

insulation depth

differential riser heights

baluster spacing

landing depths at doors

chimney width with regard to cricket reqirement

on and on and on....

Yesterday I used one to prove that the toilets in a newer construction house were both 14.25- 14.5" from the tub/ shower units.

I'm usually good at eyeing things or using body parts (no-- not that one) to take measurements, but will take a picture with the tape measure in it to jog my memory during report writing time.

No one has yet mentioned one of the most useful (and inexpensive) tools I carry.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010392060_Mirror.jpg

6.44 KB

Yes indeed! Been carrying one for years and there's no end to their usefulness, whether it's looking up into fireplace throats and dampers with ease wihtout getting an eyeful of soot, spying difficult attics and eave spaces or seeing around dormer corners. It's a nice thing to have along. [:-thumbu]

The Panasonic 1030SW focuses down to about an inch and has a nice LED for Super Macro. Close up is its only forte' though, it's underwhelming in every other aspect.

Actually, that's not true. It's waterproof too; I love washing it off after a crawl space and watching my client's face.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031072358_P3070154.jpg

39.25 KB