Keeping Yourself Occupied When Times Are Slow

I'm right there with you Charlie on the books on tape. I own about three huge holders of books on tape: WWII, Civil War, The Founding Fathers, Presidents, The Bible, Spanish, I own every College Lecture series Barnes & Noble ever sold - probably 90 books in all. My truck is a rolling classroom. To date, the presidents that have surprised me the most to learn of are George Washington (there are so many on him, and NO ONE really wanted to become the second president, because he was so outstanding, in spite of no college education), and US Grant, if you have not studied Grant, I promise that most of what you know of him is false and what you learn of him will surprise you - gifted man and especially gifted writer, who wrote his memoirs while dying of throat cancer - finishing them within days of his death.

Mark Twain said of Grant's writing: "I had been comparing the memoirs with Caesar's Commentaries... I was able to say in all sincerity that the same high merits distinguished both books - clarity of statement, directness, simplicity, manifest truthfulness, fairness and justice toward friend and foe alike and avoidance of flowery speech. General Grant was just a man, just a human being, just an author...The fact remains and cannot be dislodged that General Grant's book is a great, unique and unapproachable literary masterpiece. There is no higher literature than these modest, simple Memoirs. Their style is at least flawless, and no man can improve upon it."

In case anyone is interested, there's a free downloadable copy of US Grant's Memoirs available at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4367

Marc

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm right there with you Charlie on the books on tape. I own about three huge holders of books on tape: WWII, Civil War, The Founding Fathers, Presidents, The Bible, Spanish, I own every College Lecture series Barnes & Noble ever sold - probably 90 books in all. My truck is a rolling classroom. To date, the presidents that have surprised me the most to learn of are George Washington (there are so many on him, and NO ONE really wanted to become the second president, because he was so outstanding, in spite of no college education), and US Grant, if you have not studied Grant, I promise that most of what you know of him is false and what you learn of him will surprise you - gifted man and especially gifted writer, who wrote his memoirs while dying of throat cancer - finishing them within days of his death.

Mark Twain said of Grant's writing: "I had been comparing the memoirs with Caesar's Commentaries... I was able to say in all sincerity that the same high merits distinguished both books - clarity of statement, directness, simplicity, manifest truthfulness, fairness and justice toward friend and foe alike and avoidance of flowery speech. General Grant was just a man, just a human being, just an author...The fact remains and cannot be dislodged that General Grant's book is a great, unique and unapproachable literary masterpiece. There is no higher literature than these modest, simple Memoirs. Their style is at least flawless, and no man can improve upon it."

In case anyone is interested, there's a free downloadable copy of US Grant's Memoirs available at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4367

Marc

Hey Marc,

Grant turned out to be a pleasant surprise of a character. Google what Gore Vidal said of him.

Grant once blew his top with those under him, exclaiming, "Gentlemen, I am heartily tired of hearing what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is going to turn a double somersault and land on our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do."

Lee himself admitted, when Grant took command, that for the first time he was concerned, "He fights." Lee said of him. Lee held great respect of Grant to the grave, as one of the great generals (as was Lee obviously).

Grant's ferocious fighting tactic was to basically seize a tiger by the tail and begin gnawing forward. Never back down or retreat. He was seen as fearless - sitting on a stump with bombs and bullets all around him, as he calmly wrote brief and concise orders that are still considered at West Point for their efficiency.

I believe I find him as one of the most misunderstood and completely overlooked presidents. His main fault was being too trusting of his associates.

3800 sf 1950 house, with crawl, tomorrow afternoon. It's a 61 mile run. Mileage plus time. It's going to be a long day. I'll wager I'll have a few "Phillip" photos.

I've always been happy to have windshield time. This economy is a great time to strengthen your business, marketing etc. Books on tape are a great way to learn and pass the time. I just bought a new, to me, auto on ebay. It's a 900 mile run. Plenty of time to listen and learn. I'll miss my old truck but at 200k it was time to move on to something a little newer.

We have each been given a measure of resources to steward. Money, knowledge, talents and yes, even time. We are accountable for what we make of them. If used wisely, we grow in wisdom and resources to steward.

It's all out there for the taking. Libraries loan books on tape, it's free. It's dirt cheap to "rent" books on tape at Cracker Barrel. I credit God's grace and books for the growth of my business. My market (caugh Jackson cough) is down but my numbers are up. Like the majority of people on this forum, we do not compromise our work or our customers. When I hired my other inspectors, I chose them carefully. Ethics is a required trait. They have the same mind set. We held our monthly training session yesterday morning. The subject matter was report writing and communication. We shadow each other and learn from each other. And ....we read.

I obviously share your passion and commitment to not waste of our greatest gifts - time and this gray matter we possess. There is nothing more priceless than time. Without it, all other gifts are worthless. I find myself perpetually hungry to learn and simply can't waste time for very long without getting antsy.

I guess I need to start reading more and stop chasing women.[:-dev3]

For what it is worth I have meet a nice lady that a LPN in one of the hospitals in Jackson Mississippi. She lives in Enterprise.

She has won my heart and if things keep going as they are I may be moving to Mississippi.

Wow! - late breaking news, and we heard it on TIJ. Congrats Phillip. Wishing you all the happiness in the world, bro.

Marc

I've been meaning to check that site out for some time, but never have. Thanks very much for the tip. I just downloaded Grant's biography and will surely be back for more.

Jim, Grant was originally resigned to never write his memoirs, but when his alleged business partners proved to be crooks, leaving him shamed penniless, he began the works to avoid leaving his wife destitute.

Soldiers would march past his front porch in tribute, as he wrote feverishly to finish the works, too much in pain to even eat anymore. The whole country cheered him on and desperately mourned his death.

He was so loved by the world at large that after his presidency, he traveled the world for two years, the guest of one country after another.

For what it is worth I have meet a nice lady that a LPN in one of the hospitals in Jackson Mississippi. She lives in Enterprise.

She has won my heart and if things keep going as they are I may be moving to Mississippi.

Congrats!!

Always room for another good man.

Congrats Phillip!

Just don't show her any of your inspection pictures, she may have second thoughts. [;)]

Really, Phillip? I mean, MARRIAGE? You don't want to do that. First, she'll change, and then she'll try to change you. And a couple of years after the ceremony, you'll hardly be speaking to each other. Except, that is, when she asks why things aren't the way they used to be. And boy, aren't THOSE conversations a really fun way to spend a night?

You gotta snap out of it. I can't believe you're even THINKING about getting married.

Those that know Phillip realize he is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over due for a good woman. She is a lucky woman!

I'm aware I'm having a weak moment, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I, too, remember when Phillip told us about another time in his life that wasn't so smiley . . . maybe three or four years ago, at Christmas. I realize you remember, as well, and in case no one else says it today, you, Les, are more than okay in my book.

Disclaimer: These weak moments are short-lived, so it's almost a sure bet I'll be back to busting your chops by tomorrow.

Those that know Phillip realize he is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over due for a good woman. She is a lucky woman!

I'm aware I'm having a weak moment, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I, too, remember when Phillip told us about another time in his life that wasn't so smiley . . . maybe three or four years ago, at Christmas. I realize you remember, as well, and in case no one else says it today, you, Les, are more than okay in my book.

Disclaimer: These weak moments are short-lived, so it's almost a sure bet I'll be back to busting your chops by tomorrow.

Lord knows that two times and twenty years was enough for me. The only way I could possibly be happier than I am today is to die and go to heaven.

I believe that Bain's earnest plead, Phillip, may be to gooooo slooowwww. And, if it's real you can't go too slow, but you can go too fast.

Unfortunately, I was gone for a couple years and don't know you like these guys, But, I do wish you all the best - definitely.

Congrats Phillip. I hope it works out well for you!

RE: Books on Tape.

I used to get a bunch of them for free from the library.

Then I found out I could download them from the library web site, also for free. Transfer to an MP3 player and away we go.

No more radio for me. I can get just about any book from the library website for free.

-

Congrats Phillip. I hope it works out well for you!

RE: Books on Tape.

I used to get a bunch of them for free from the library.

Then I found out I could download them from the library web site, also for free. Transfer to an MP3 player and away we go.

No more radio for me. I can get just about any book from the library website for free.

-

[:-thumbu] It's nice to actually accomplish something, with ease, while you drive.

• 3 weeks later...

September is normally pretty slow here. I think it has something to do with parents putting their kids back into school, changing schools, getting the new clothes, etc.. Realtors have kids too and they seem to be engrossed in the first month of school thing and don't seem to put in much effort in September. I've even noticed it and I'm very well insulated from the whole realtor referral paradigm.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike